Kinlet is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Earnwood.
Parish church: St John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1657
Parishes adjacent to Kinlet
- Neen Savage
- Upper Arley
- Far Forest
- Cleobury Mortimer
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870
Kinlet, a parish in Cleobury-Mortimer district, Salop; 4 miles SW by W of Higley r. station, and 4½ NNE of Cleobury-Mortimer. It contains the hamlet of Earnwood; and its post town is Bewdley. Acres, 6, 692. Real property, £6, 457. Pop., 424. Houses, 85. The property belonged formerly to the Bramptons, and belongs now to their descendant, W. L. Childe, Esq., whose seat is Kinlet Hall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £380. Patron, W. L. Childe, Esq. The church is cruciform, in fair condition; and contains monuments of the Blounts, the Cornwalls, and the Childes of Kinlet.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824
Kinlet. A parish in the Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 87 houses, 552 inhabitants. 4 miles north-east of Cleobury Mortimer. Kinlet Hall is the residence of William Lacon Childe, Esq.
Kinlet was once the residence of the family of the Blounts, from which have descended persons illustrious by almost all the titles of honour which a nation can boast, allied more than once by marriage with the royal family, and employed in the first offices of the state, almost in every reign since the conquest.
They were originally Normans, and are supposed to have derived their name Le Blound, from their having yellow hair. This place is now the property of William Childe, Esq. In the church, which is cruciform, handsome and ancient, having a nave with Saxon or early Norman round arches, are superb monuments of the family of Blount, of the reign of Henry the seventh and eighth.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870
Earnwood, a township in Kinlet parish, Salop; 8½ miles S of Bridgnorth. Pop., 253.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824
Earnwood. A township in the hundred of Stottesden.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
The Register of Kinlet 1657-1840
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XVII (1920)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Kinlet, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865
Kinlet Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Cleobury Mortimer
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Stottesdon
- Poor Law Union: Cleobury Mortimer
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury
- Polling District: Cleobury Mortimer