Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1838
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Parishes adjacent to Ketley
- Dawley Magna
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KETLEY, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Wellington parish, Salop. The village stands adjacent to the Wellington and Severn Junction railway, 2 miles ESE of Wellington; is a large place, inhabited chiefly by miners; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Wellington, Salop. The township includes the village; extends considerably into the country; contains many ironstone and coal pits, and several blast furnaces for iron; and has a canal and tram railway to Oaken-Gates pits, 1½ mile long, with a fall of 73 feet, formed in 1788 by Reynolds. The pop., in 1841, was 2,642; but at the two subsequent decades, was returned with the parish. The chapelry has a church of 1837, and dates from that period, but does not seem to have definite limits. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £158. Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church was built at the Duke of Sutherland's expense; is a neat cruciform structure, in the pointed style; and stands on an eminence, commanding extensive views over the surrounding plains, to the Wreken and the Welsh mountains.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Ketley. A township in the parish of Wellington, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 1 mile south-east of Wellington. The residence of John Bucknell, Esq., and Henry Williams, Esq.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Ketley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Evans George, Ketley, Salop, grocer and tea dealer, Jan. 11, 1831.
Civil Registration District: Wellington (Shropshire)
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Wellington
Poor Law Union: Wellington
Hundred: South Bradford