SHROPSHIRE, or SALOP, an inland county of England, on the borders of Wales, bounded on the N. by Denbighshire, a detached part of Flintshire, and Cheshire, E. by Staffordshire, S. by Worcestershire and Herefordshire, and W. by Radnorshire, Montgomeryshire, and Denbighshire. Desc. Greatly diversified, and comprehending every variety of picturesque landscape scenery. In the S. it is generally mountainous, and level in the N. Rivers. The Severn, which runs through the very middle of the county, with its numerous tributaries, among which are the Perry, the Mede, the Warf, the Cound Serm, the Clun, the Onny, the Rea, and the Corve. Lakes. Several, but generally small. Pro. All the ordinary kinds of grain and green crops, with hemp, ﬂax, and hops, grown chiefly on the Herefordshire and Worcestershire borders. Many cattle are fed on the pasture-lands in the level parts of the county, and much of the cheese sold under the name of Cheshire cheese is made here. The hilly district consists chiefly of fine pasture, on which sheep are reared and fed that yield fine wool of a superior quality. Minerals. Coal, iron, lead, salt, sandstone, and limestone. Between the road from Shrewsbury to Bishop’s Castle and the vale of Montgomery rises a high rocky tract, the central ridge of which is called the Stiper stones, and it is here that the lead-mines of the county are situated. The iron-mines and works in this county are extensive, and have proved a source of great wealth to the owners. During the revolts which occurred after the death of Edward 1., and also during the wars of York and Lancaster, Shropshire was occasionally the scene of military events, the principal of which was the battle of Shrewsbury, fought in 1403. The chief Roman stations in it were Uriconium, now Wroxeter, and Rutunium, thought by some to be near Wem. Many curious and beautiful Roman remains were found at Wroxeter in 1859. Of the Norman and subsequent ages, many memorials exist in the castles, priories, and churches of the county, which also contains various British and Roman encampments. Manf. Iron goods, coal-tar, earthenware, china, and excellent tobacco-pipes, gloves, hardware, buttons, paper, woollen stuffs, and some cotton and linen goods. The trade manufactures, and even the agriculture of Shropshire, have been greatly advanced by its canals and railroads, of which there are several. Area, 826,055 acres, or 1291 square miles. Pop. 240,959. This county is traversed by the London and North-Western Railway.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
Shropshire is bounded, North by a detached part of Flintshire and Cheshire; East by Staffordshire; South by Worcestershire and Herefordshire; and on the West by Radnorshire, Montgomeryshire, and Denbighshire. It is about 44 miles long, and 28 broad; and is divided into 15 divisions — Bradford (North), Bradford (South), Brimstrey, Chirbury, Condover, Ford, Munslow, Oswestry, Overs, Pimhill, Purslow, Stokesden, Bridgnorth, Shrewsbury, and Wenlock. Rivers: the Severn, the Camlet, the Trine, and the Clunn. It has 16 Market-Towns. Is in the Province of Canterbury, partly in the Diocese of Hereford, and partly in that of Litchfield and Coventry; and it is in the Oxford Circuit. It contains 1341 square miles, or 856,240 acres. Population, 239,041.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Shropshire Towns & Parishes