Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Hope Baggot
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1714
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Hope Bagot
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOPE-BAGGOT, a parish in Ludlow district, Salop; 4½ miles N of Tenbury r. station, and 6 ESE of Ludlow. Post town, Ludlow. Acres, 460. Real property, £454. Pop., 82. Houses, 19. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Cleveland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £111. Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church is ancient and tolerable, and has a tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Hope Bagot – St. John the Baptist Church
The Church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and has several interesting features. The earliest portions date from Norman times, and the chancel arch, the South doorway, and two windows in the chancel and nave are remarkable for richness of pattern and diaper of an unusual fashion. The plain bowl shaped font is probably of the same period. On the S. side of the chancel is a lancet of 13 century work and a piscine and sedilia of singular interest. To the following century belongs the two-light window on the S. side of the nave in connection with an altar of which the retable remains. The East window is post-Reformation. An inscription says: “This Church was adorned anno Domini 1681, John Griffiths and William Unit, churchwardens.” Another inscription records the erection of a gallery in 1726. The Tower is probably 13 century. The Porch was originally a 14 century Lich-gate. The present Lich-gate is modern. In 1911 the floor of the nave and chancel was lowered, and much new woodwork was introduced while an aumbry was discovered in the N. wall of the chancel.
In the Church there is a monument to Benjamin Giles, junior, who died in consequence of a fall from his horse, 1795, aged 31; and to his parents, Benjamin Giles, Esq., d. 1801, aged 71, and his consort Jemima, d. 1801, aged 70. There is a memorial window on the S. Wall of the church in memory of Benjamin Giles, Esq., of Hope Court, who died Mar. 3rd, 1866, with coats of arms.
In the churchyard there is a fine yew tree, and a Holy Well, said to be good for weak eyes.
The earlier Registers have been lost. The volume for 1714 to 1742 consists of paper leaves at the beginning and end, and 12 leaves of parchment 9in. by 5in. in a vellum cover. The volume for 1754 to 1812 is paper bound in vellum 10in. by 7in., with marriages at one end and other entries at the other.
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Ludlow
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Burford
- Poor Law Union: Ludlow
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury