Highley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1551
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Highley, a village and a parish in Cleobury-Mortimer district, Salop. The village stands on a rising ground, adjacent to the river Severn and to the Severn Valley railway, 7 miles SSE of Bridgnorth; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bridgnorth. The parish comprises 1, 527 acres. Rated property, £1, 779. Pop., 407. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to William Jordan, Esq. Good building stone is quarried, and coal was formerly worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £300. Patron, J. Perry, Esq. The church is tolerable, and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Highley, a parish in Stottesden hund., union of Cleobury-Mortimer, county of Salop; 6¾ miles south-south-east of Bridgenorth, west of the river Severn. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £5 19s. 2d., and returned at £127 10s.; gross income £153. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. S. Burrows. There are 2 daily schools in this parish. Charities, in 1819, £6 5s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £128 19s. Acres 1,460. Houses 84. A. P. £1,929. Pop., in 1801, 274; in 1831, 404.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Higley. A parish in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden, a vicarage, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 84 houses, 424 inhabitants. 6 ½ miles south-east by south of Bridgnorth.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.