Haughton Demesne is an extra-parochial place. Search surrounding parishes for records and information.
Alternative names: Haughmond, Haughmond Demesne
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: Search surrounding parishes
- Bishop’s Transcripts: Search surrounding parishes
- Shrewsbury St Mary
- Upton Magna
- High Ercall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAUGHMOND, or Hagmond, an extra-parochial tract in Atcham district, Salop; 4½ miles E of Shrewsbury. Pop., 141. Houses, 27. An Augustinian abbey was founded here, in 1100, by William Fitzalan; had revenues, at the dissolution, valued at £260; and was then given to Edmnnd Lytellton. Ruins of it, comprising a church door, the chapter house, and parts of the refectory and the abbot's house, still exist; and some of them show transition Norman character. Clark, the antiquary, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Atcham
Probate Court: Search the courts of the surrounding parishes
Diocese: Not Applicable
Rural Deanery: Not Applicable
Poor Law Union: Atcham
Hundred: Albrighton Division