Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1745
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1631
Parishes adjacent to Harley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARLEY, a parish in Atcham district, Salop; on an affluent of the river Severn, 2 miles NW of Much-Wenlock r. station. It has a post-office under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 1,955. Real property, £3,779. Pop., 220. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, 276. Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Harley. A parish parley in the franchise of Wenlock, and partly in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover, a rectory, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 47 houses, 235 inhabitants. 10 ½ miles south-east of Shrewsbury.
The Rev. Benjamin Jenks, who was born either here or in some other part of Shropshire, in the year 1646, held the rectory of Harley fifty six years. He was a most exemplary and pious divine, and appears from the dedication of his books of devotion to Lord Bradford, to have distantly allied to that family, for he claims kindred with the nobleman whom he addresses. He died in 1724. His works are, 1. Prayers and Offices of Devotion, for families, 12mo., a work once very popular, and even now not uncommon. 2. Meditations on various important subjects, 5 vols. 8vo.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. II (1901)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; W. P. W. Phillimore
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Harley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Harley is a parish and village, 2 miles from Much Wenlock, 10 from Shrewsbury, and 10 from Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, Cound division of Condover hundred, Atcham union, and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Mary is a stone building; the nave and chancel were rebuilt in 1846, at an expense of nearly £1,000, raised by public subscriptions. The living is a rectory, yearly value £270, with residence and 48 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland. The charities are £20 yearly value. The Duke of Cleveland, who is also lord of the manor, and James Milnes Gaskell, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is gravely and clayey. The population in 1861 was 220; the area is 1,955 acres; gross estimated rental, £2,100; rateable value, £1,963.
Letters arrive from Wellington through Much Wenlock at 7 30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 50 p.m.
Greenham Rev. William, B.A. Rectory
Burley John, farmer
Cartwright Edward, farmer, Rowley
Cartwright Richard, farmer
Corfield Edward, farmer, Blakeway
Gwynn Thomas, wheelwright
[Hengoed see Sellattyn.]
Horton George, farmer
Maddox John, farmer and miller
Roberts Robert, blacksmith
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
Civil Registration District: Atcham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Condover
Poor Law Union: Atcham