Halford is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1844 from chapelry in Bromfield Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Halford with Dinchope, Hawford, Hawford and Dinchop
Other places in the parish include: Dinchope.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1597
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Halford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HALFORD, a chapelry in Bromfield parish, Salop; on the river Onney, adjacent to the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, near Craven Arms r. station, 7½ miles NW of Ludlow. It includes the township of Dinchope; and its post town is Wistanstow, Shropshire. Acres, 1,062. Rated property, £1,260. Pop., 141. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £40. Patron, Lady Windsor. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Halford, a chapelry, in the parish of Bromfield, union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 8 1/4 miles (N. W. by N.) from Ludlow; containing, with the township of Dinchope, 124 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Halford. A township in the parish of Bromfield, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, a chapel to Bromfield, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop. 10 houses, 51 inhabitants.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Halford, Shropshire Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Ludlow Polling District
Halford, Parish of
2408 Give George Herbert Windsor Windsor see 40
2409 Cox John
2410 Everall Thomas
2411 Handley William
2412 Marston Richard
Halford Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Halford is an ecclesiastical parish and village, 20 miles south from Shrewsbury, half a mile from the Craven Arms station, and 8 miles from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, lower division of Munslow hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford. The church is a very old building; it was repaired in 1848. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £40, with residence and 4 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the representative of the late Baroness Windsor. Here is a Free school for boys and girls. The charities are of £3 yearly value. The representative of the late Baroness Windsor are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The coil is clayey loam; subsoil, limestone. The population in 1868 was 141; the area is 1,062 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,420; rateable value, £1,209.
Dinchope is a township in this parish.
Letters through Shrewsbury.
Lumb Rev. Wm. Eedson, M.A. Vicarage
Everall Thomas, farmer
Lambe Thomas, blacksmith Newington
Marston Richard, farmer and miller
Beddoes John, farmer
Cocks John, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
Civil Registration District: Ludlow
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ludlow
Poor Law Union: Ludlow