Hadnall is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1742 from chapelry in Myddle Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Hadnall Ease
Other places in the parish include: Smethcott, Shotton, Haston, Hardwick, and Alderton.
Status: Chapelry in Myddle Ancient Parish; succeeded by Hadnall Ecclesiastical Parish in 1742
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1783
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1659
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Hadnall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HADNALL, a township and a chapelry in Middle parish, Salop. The township lies on the Shrewsbury and Crewe railway, 4½ miles NNE of Shrewsbury; and has a post office under Shrewsbury and a r. station. The chapelry includes Alderton, Haston, Hardwick, Shotton, and Smethcott townships. Pop., 456. Houses, 96. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the dio. of Lichfield. Value, £172. Patron, the Rector of Middle. The church is good. Charities £76.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Hadnall-Ease, a chapelry, in the parish of Middle, liberty of the borough of Shrewsbury, union of Ellesmere, N. division of Salop, 5 1/2 miles (N. N. E.) from Shrewsbury; containing 429 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £55; patron, Rector of Middle. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. A school was founded and endowed under the will of Lady Mary Hill, in 1787.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Hadnall; or Hadnall Ease. A township in the parish of Middle, and in the liberties of Shrewsbury. A chapel to Middle, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 61 houses, 363 inhabitants. 5 miles north of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Hadnall Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Hadnall, or Hadnall Ease, is a village and ecclesiastical parish, and station on the Shrewsbury and Crewe branch of the London and North Western Railway, about 5 miles from Shrewsbury, and 168 from London, in the Northern division of the county, Albrighton division of Brimstree hundred, Ellesmere union, and diocese of Lichfield. The church is a handsome stone building, consisting of nave, with a square tower. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £170, in the gift of the rector of Middle. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. Viscount Hill is lord of the manor. J. J. Bibby and John W. Ward, Esqs., are the principal landowners. The charities amount to about £23 yearly. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and peat. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The parish contains 800 acres; the population in 1861 was 456; gross estimated rental, £5,096; rateable value, £4,743.
Letters arrive through Shrewsbury at 5 0 a.m.; dispatched at 7 55 p.m.
Railway Station, John Peers, station master.
Bibby James Jenkinson, esq. Hardwick
Mortimer Rev. Brooke Cunliffe
Robinson Rev. George, Smethcote
Ward John W. esq.
Bayley Thomas and Son, tailors and woollen drapers
Blantern George, farmer, Haston
Breeze William, farmer, Haston
Davies Robert, farm steward
Dickenson C. T. beer retailer
Evans John, farmer
Gittins Samuel, farmer
Groome John, farmer, Smethcote
Haycocks John grocer
Heath Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Heath Miss, grocer, &c.
Jacks Richard, butcher
Leech Richard, farmer
Payne Thomas, farmer
Penlington George, Saracen’s Head inn
Powell Richard, wheelwright, carpenter and builder
Powell Thomas, farmer, Painsbrook
Spence James George, coal and lime merchant, Railway wharf
Woodall William painter
Williams Richard, parish clerk, &c.
Wycherley Thomas, blacksmith, and horse shoer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Ellesmere
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Wem
- Poor Law Union: Ellesmere
- Hundred: Albrighton Division
- Province: Canterbury