Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1670
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1614
Parishes adjacent to Habberley
Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Habberley, a parish in Atcham district, Salop; under Stiperstones hill, 5¾ miles WNW of Dorrington r. station, and 8½ SW of Shrewsbury. Post-town, Minsterley, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 795. Real property, £4,760; of which £300 are in mines. Pop., in 1851, 144; in 1861, 112. Houses, 26. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £158. Patron,W. H. Sparrow, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Habberley (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Atcham, hundred of Ford, S. division of Salop, 9 miles (S. W.) from Shrewsbury; containing 125 inhabitants. It comprises about 900 acres, which are distributed into five farms; the soil is generally of a clayey nature, of great fertility; the surface is rather flat, though relieved with occasional hills, and the parish is watered by a small rivulet, and by numerous excellent springs. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's books at £4. 0. 2 1/2., and in the patronage of the Heirs of the late John Mytton, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £126, and the glebe comprises 20 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Habberley. A parish in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Pontesbury, and archdeaconry of Salop. 24 houses, 151 inhabitants. 8 miles south-west of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Habberley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Habberley is a parish and village, 9 ½ miles from Shrewsbury, in the Southern division of the county, Pontesbury division of Ford hundred, Atcham union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Mary is a small stone building. It was re-roofed, re-seated, and otherwise repaired about 1864. The living is a rectory, yearly value £126, with residence and 22 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Frederick Turton Sparrow, Esq. The country around presents many interesting views of picturesque beauty. Frederick Turton Sparrow, Esq., of Habberley Hall, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The charities amount to £1 10s. yearly. The soil is strong loam; subsoil, clay. The area is 786 acres, and the population in 1861 was 112; gross estimated rental, £1,074; rateable value, £1,001.
Letters from Shrewsbury through Pontesbury.
Aston Rev. Thomas B., M.A.
Sparrow Fredk. Turton esq. The Hall
Everall Thomas and Edward, farmers
Haughton Edward, farmer
Higley Thomas, wheelwright
Inions John, Mytton’s Arms inn
Lewis Richard miller and blacksmith
Perks Thomas, farmer Marsley
Speake William, farmer
Wood Brittain Dawes, farmer and land agent.
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Atcham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
- Poor Law Union: Atcham
- Hundred: Ford
- Province: Canterbury