Greete is a small parish in Shropshire, two miles N.W. of Tenbury, up a steep, narrow road leading on to the Clee Hills - it is in Overs Hundred, Burford Rural Deanery, Tenbury Union, and Hereford Diocese. In 1824 it contained 14 houses and the population was only 72. In 1891 (after the addition to Greete, in 1884, of Stoke, a township in Whitton parish) the population numbered 178; in 1901, 141. The acreage is 1,638 of land and 6 of water. In 1676, Greete had 50 inhabitants above the age of 16, all “conformists”, with no papists or nonconformists.
The Church is a very small one, of rubble stone. It consists of chancel, nave, bell turret and south porch, and seats 100 people. It is dedicated to St. James, and dates from the late 12th or early 13th century. The West end, with narrow Early English light, is the oldest part. There is a very pretty double-light window in the North wall of the nave, with wooden mullion and tracery, 15th or early 16th century. Mr. Cranage in Shropshire Churches quotes it as “an unusually perfect specimen”. At the East end, the sedilia and piscina are joined to the East window - an interesting example of this arrangement. The porch, South door, chancel arch, and roof were renewed and modernized in 1856, and the small spire replaced by a bell-turret.
Source: Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. V (1909). Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.
Greet. A parish in the hundred of Overs, a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Burford, and archdeaconry of Salop. 14 houses, 72 inhabitants. 5 miles south-east of Ludlow.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. V (1909)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register SocietyGreete Parish Registers 1663-1812 - Archive.org
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Ludlow Polling District
Greet, Parish of
2404 Berrington John
2405 Bradney Joseph Christopher
2406 Corfield Thomas
2407 Mason Richard
Greet is a parish and village, 6 miles from Ludlow, and 2 from Tenbury, in the Southern division of the county, Overs hundred, Tenbury union and county court district of Hereford; it is situated near the Ledwich and Teme rivers and Leominster canal. The church is an old building in the Early English style, and was repaired in 1855. The living is a rectory, yearly value £100, with residence and 38 acres of glebe land, in the gift of T. H. Hope-Edwardes, Esq. T. H. Hope-Edwardes, Esq., lord of the manor, and P. P. Williams, Esq., are chief landowners. The soil is a stiff clay; the subsoil is clay. The area is 1,040 acres, and the population in 1861 was 129; gross estimated rental, £1,382; rateable value, £1,261.
Letters are received through Tenbury.
Hop-Edwardes Rev. St. Leger, Rectory
Corfield Thomas, farmer
Hardwick John, wheelwright
Mason Richard, farmer
Rawlings John, farmer, Stoke farm
Rawlings Richd. farmer, Rockhill farm
Smith William, farmer
Whiteman Richard, farmer
Williams Thomas, blacksmith
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871