Greete is a small parish in Shropshire, two miles N.W. of Tenbury, up a steep, narrow road leading on to the Clee Hills - it is in Overs Hundred, Burford Rural Deanery, Tenbury Union, and Hereford Diocese. In 1824 it contained 14 houses and the population was only 72. In 1891 (after the addition to Greete, in 1884, of Stoke, a township in Whitton parish) the population numbered 178; in 1901, 141. The acreage is 1,638 of land and 6 of water. In 1676, Greete had 50 inhabitants above the age of 16, all “conformists”, with no papists or nonconformists.
Status: Ancient ParishNave and porch of St James' parish church, Greete, Shropshire, seen from the south. The copyright on this image is owned by Philip Halling and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
Parish church: St. James
The Church is a very small one, of rubble stone. It consists of chancel, nave, bell turret and south porch, and seats 100 people. It is dedicated to St. James, and dates from the late 12th or early 13th century. The West end, with narrow Early English light, is the oldest part. There is a very pretty double-light window in the North wall of the nave, with wooden mullion and tracery, 15th or early 16th century. Mr. Cranage in Shropshire Churches quotes it as “an unusually perfect specimen”. At the East end, the sedilia and piscina are joined to the East window - an interesting example of this arrangement. The porch, South door, chancel arch, and roof were renewed and modernized in 1856, and the small spire replaced by a bell-turret.
Source: Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. V (1909). Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1714
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630
Parishes adjacent to Greete
- Little Hereford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GREET, a parish in Tenbury district, Salop; on the verge of the county, adjacent to the river Teme and the Leominster canal, 2½ miles NW by N of Tenbury town and r. station. Post town, Tenbury. Acres, 1,040. Real property, £1,112. Pop., 129. Houses, 21. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to T. H. Hope Edwards, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £200. Patron, T H. Edwards, Esq. The church is ancient but good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Greet. A parish in the hundred of Overs, a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Burford, and archdeaconry of Salop. 14 houses, 72 inhabitants. 5 miles south-east of Ludlow.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Greete Parish Registers 1663-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. V (1909)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Greet, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865
Greet Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Tenbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Burford
- Poor Law Union: Tenbury
- Hundred: Overs
- Province: Canterbury