Status: Ancient Parish succeeded by Great Hanwood Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St. Thomas
Parish registers begin: 1813
Parishes adjacent to Great Hanwood
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HANWOOD (GREAT), a parish in Atcham district, Salop; on the river Rea, adjacent to the Shrewsbury and Welshpool railway, 4 miles SW of Shrewsbury. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Shrewsbury, both of the name of Hanwood. Acres, 590. Pop., 288. Houses, 64. There is a large flour mill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £221. Patron, H. D. Warter, Esq. The church is a brick structure, of about the year 1700.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Great Hanwood. A parish in the liberties of Shrewsbury, a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Pontesbury, and archdeaconry of Salop. 31 houses, 157 inhabitants. 4 miles south-west of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Great Hanwood Parish Registers 1559-1763
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. I (1900)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Hanwood Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Hanwood is a village and parish, 3 ½ miles from Shrewsbury, in the Southern division of the county, Ford division and hundred, Atcham union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Thomas is a brick building, restored by subscription in the year 1856. The living is a rectory, yearly value £250, in the gift of the Rev. Edward Warter. A parish school was built in the year 1862. Sir Offley Wakeman, Bart., is lord of the manor. Francis Harries, Esq., the Rev. Edward Warter, Mr. Jones, and Mr. Blakeway, are the principal landowners. The charities amount to £10 yearly. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The parish contains 590 acres; the population in 1861 was 288; gross estimated rental, £1,501; rateable value, £1,379 19s. 6d.
Post Office. – John Alltree, postmaster. Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 6 a.m.; dispatched at 6-10 p.m.
Jones Charles Lloyd, esq. Hanwood ho
Warter Rev. Edward, M.A., J.P. Rectory
Alltree John, smith &c.
Bridge Joseph, New inn
Blakeway and Co. millers, Hanwood mills
Davies John, farmer
Higginson William, tailor
Jones Arthur Gardiner, farmer
Jones Henry, builder
Jones Thomas, shoe maker
Jones Thomas, wheelwright
Littlehales Richd. blacksmith & shopkpr
Marshall & Co. manufacturers of linen thread
Parry John, wheelwright, &c.
Preece Phillip, shopkeeper
Russell John, The Cock inn
Ward John, shoe maker
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
Civil Registration District: Atcham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
Poor Law Union: Atcham