Frodesley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Parish church: St. Mark

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1547
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1632

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Frodesley

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

FRODESLEY, a parish in Atcham district, Salop; on Watling-street, 2½ miles E of Dorrington r. station, and 7 NNE of Church-Stretton. It has a post office under Shrewsbury. Acres, 2,212. Real property, £2,122. Pop., 256. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £370. Patron, the Rev. T. Gleadowe. The church is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Frodesley or Fordesley. A parish in the Condover division of the hundred of Condover, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. One of the hills in the eastern line of the plain of Shropshire. 26 houses, 179 inhabitants. Frodesley is the residence of Sir Henry Cholmondeley Edwards, bart. 7 miles south of Shrewsbury

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Shropshire, Frodesley – Cemeteries ( 1 )
Monumental inscriptions of St. Mark’s churchyard, Frodesley, Shropshire, 1810-1984
Author: Delves-Broughton, Diana; White, Kathleen; Daniell, A. P. de T.

England, Shropshire, Frodesley – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Frodesley, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Shropshire, Frodesley – Church records ( 2 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Frodesley, 1632-1862
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Frodesley (Shropshire)

Shropshire parish registers of the parishes of Fitz, Frodesley, Uppington, Tong and Addersley
Author: Church of England. Diocese of Lichfield; Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913; Church of England. Parish Church of Fitz (Shropshire); Church of England. Parish Church of Frodesley (Shropshire); Church of England. Parish Church of Uppington (Shropshire)

England, Shropshire, Frodesley – Church records – Indexes ( 1 )
Computer printout of Frodesley, Shrops., Eng

Parish Registers

Frodesley Parish Registers 1547-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. IV (1903)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Poll Books

Frodesley, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Church Stretton Polling District

Frodesley, Parish of

1237 Bould Richard

1238 Clouds John, see 1117

1239 Clee William

1240 Cover Samuel Lee

1241 Cross John

1242 Durnell Thomas

1243 Durnell John

1244 Durnell William

1245 Gleadow Thomas Littlewood

1246 Gittins Adam

1247 Hide Thomas

1248 Hotchkiss Richard

1249 Meredith Edmund

1250 Morgan John

1251 Oliver John

Directories

Frodesley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Frodesley is a parish and village, 8 miles from Shrewsbury, 4 from the Dorrington and Leebotwood stations, and 169 ½ from London, in the Southern division of the county, Condover division of Condover hundred, Atcham union, county court district, and diocese of Lichfield, bounded on the south by a considerable hill, which forms a connecting link between the Caradoc, Lawley, and Wrekin.  In 1809 the church of St. Mark was erected on the site of the old one, and is probably the third church since the Norman Accession.  The living is a discharged rectory; the tithes are commuted for £405 per annum, and there are 23 acres of glebe land; it is in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Thomas Littlewood Gleadowe, M.A.  Bricks and drain tiles are made here.  The Roman Watling street runs for about 2 miles through this parish.  The Hall, part of which only remains, has been a fine structure, in the Elizabethan style.  Sir Charles Frederick Joseph Smythe, Bart., who is lord of the manor, and Colonel Corbett, are the principal landowners.  The soil is clay; subsoil, clay.  The area is 2,188 acres, and the population in 1861 was 256; gross estimated rental, £2,629; rateable value, £2409.
Letters arrive at 7 30 a.m., dispatched at 6 20 p.m.

Gleadowe Rev. Thomas Littlewood, M.A.
Heath Mr. Thomas
Durnell Eleanor, beer retailer
Durnell George, boot and shoe maker
Durnell Thos. shopkeeper & blacksmith
Harvey James, shoemaker & shopkeeper
Hide Thomas, farmer, Hall farm
Hotchkiss Jeremiah, cooper
Hotchkiss John, farmer
Hotchkiss Richard, farmer
Jobson George, brick and tile maker
Meredith Edmund Andrews, farmer
Oliver John, farmer, Lane
Parry William, farmer, Lodge
Pinches Thomas, carpenter
Tanner Richard, farmer, Lane

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Condover
  • Poor Law Union: Atcham
  • Hundred: Condover
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts