Eyton on the Weald Moors is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Alternative names: Eyton upon the Wild Moors, Eyton upon the Weald Moore, Eyton upon the Wildmoors
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1698
Parishes adjacent to Eyton on the Weald Moors
- Ercall Magna
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Eyton-upon-the-Wild-Moors, a parish in the Wellington district, Salop; on the Shrewsbury canal, 2 ½ miles N of Wellington r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Eyton, under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 1,038. Real property, £3,234. Pop., 451. Houses, 88. The property is divided among a few. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the manufacture of bar-iron. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Wellington, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is very good. Lord Herbert of Chirbury was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Eyton-upon-the-Wild-Moors, a parish in the Wellington division of the hund. of South Bradford, union of Wellington, county of Salop; 2½ miles north of Wellington, intersected by the Shrewsbury canal. Living, a discharged rectory, united to the vicarage of Wellington. Here is a daily school. The celebrated free-thinker, Lord Herbert of Cherbury, was born here in 1581. Acres 1,420. Houses 71. A. P. £1,764. Pop., in 1801, 323; in 1831, 350. Poor rates, in 1838, £164 19s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
EYTON-UPON-THE-WILD-MOORS (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wellington, Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 2 1/2 miles (N.) from Wellington ; containing 389 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Wellington, and valued in the king's books at £2. 14. 9 1/2. : the rectorial tithes have been commuted for £148. 6., and certain impropriate tithes for £49. 19. A school is supported by Thomas Eyton, Esq. Edward, the celebrated Lord Herbert, of Cherbury, was born here in 1581.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Eyton on the Wildmoors or upon Wildmores. A parish in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 74 houses, 390 inhabitants. 2 miles north of Wellington.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Wellington (Shropshire)
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Wellington
- Poor Law Union: Wellington
- Hundred: South Bradford
- Province: Canterbury