Edgton, Shropshire Family History Guide

Edgton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1722 from chapelry in Clun with Chapel Lawn Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Edgton, Brunslow and Horderley and Brunslow.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1722

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Edgton

Historical Descriptions

Edgton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Edgton, a parish in Clun district, Salop; near the river Onny, 4 ½ miles SE of Bishops-Castle, and 4 ¾ W by S of Marsh-Brook r. station. Post-town, Aston-on-Clun, Salop. Acres, 1,832. Real property, £1,950. Pop., 186. Houses, 42. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patron, H. Saudford, Esq. The church is old but good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Edgton. A parish in the Stow division of the hundred of Purslow, a curacy not in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Clun, and archdeaconry of Salop. 40 houses, 220 inhabitants. 4 ½ miles south-east of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Brunslow

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Brunslow or Brownslow. A township in the parish of Edgton, and in the Stow division of the hundred of Purslow. 3 ½ miles south-east of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hordesley

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hordesley. An extra-parochial place, next to the parish of Edgton, in the Stow division of the hundred of Purslow. Its population is reckoned to Edgton.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Registers

Edgton Parish Registers 1722-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. III (1903)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Edgton Parish Registers 1722-1812 - Archive.org

Poll Books

Edgton, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Bishop’s Castle Polling District

Edgton, Parish of

210 Brereton Joseph

211 Brereton Edward

212 Brown John

213 Bull James, see 1358

214 Childe Thomas

215 Eyton Robert William

216 Lucas William

217 Lucas William

218 Owen John

219 Sandford Folliott, dead

220 Sandford Humphrey

221 Wood Thomas

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Clun
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Clun
  • Poor Law Union: Clun
  • Hundred: Purslow
  • Province: Canterbury