Eaton under Haywood is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Alternative names: Eaton

Other places in the parish include: Hatton, Hungerford, Ticklerton, Lushcott, Longville, and Upper Millichope.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1688

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Eaton under Haywood

Historical Descriptions

Eaton under Haywood

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

EATON, a parish in Church-Stretton district, Salop; on Eaton Brook, under Wenlock Edge, 4½ miles SE by E of Church Stretton town and r. station. It contains Hatton, Hungerford, Ticklerton, Lushcott-Longville, and Upper Millichope; and its post town is Rushbury, under Church-Stretton. Acres, 6,201. Real property, £4,967. Pop., 544. Houses, 93. The property is subdivided. Eaton Brook is an affluent of the Onny. Some stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £350. Patron, H. Sandford, Esq. The church is ancient.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eaton; or Eaton under Haywood. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 78 houses, 566 inhabitants. 4 miles south-east of Church Stretton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hatton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hatton. A township in the parish of Eaton, and in the franchise of Wenlock. 2 ½ miles south-east of Church Stretton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hungerford and Milborough

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hungerford and Milborough. A township in the parish of Eaton, and in the franchise of Wenlock. 6 miles south-east of Church Stretton. 8 miles south-west of Wenlock.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Longville Lashcot or Lushcot

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Longville, Lashcot or Lushcot. A township in the parish of Eaton, and in the franchise of Wenlock. Longville is 5 miles east of Church Stretton, and Lushcot 6 miles north-east of Church Stretton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Lushcot

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Lushcot. Part of a township in the franchise of Wenlock. See Longville

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Eaton-under-Haywood, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Church Stretton Polling District

Eaton-under-Haywood, Parish of

1217 Beck Peter, see 3158

1218 Buddicom Robert Joseph

1219 Butcher Richard, see 966

1220 Green John

1221 Hamar John, see 1297

1222 Harris Joseph

1223 Hide John

1224 James John

1225 Powell Thomas Crump, see 2471

1226 Robinson James Hastings

1227 Sandford Folliott

1228 Sandford George

1229 Sandford Holland

1230 Taylor Job, see 1311

1231 Warren Joseph Loxdale, see 961

Directories

Eaton-Under-Heywood Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Eaton-Under-Heywood is a parish, comprising the townships of Eaton, Hatton, part of Longville, Luchcott, East Wall, part of Hungerford, Millichope Upper, and Ticklerton, in the Southern division of the county, Upper division of Munslow hundred, Church Stretton union, and diocese of Hereford, 5 miles from Church Stretton, 9 from Much Wenlock, and 1 ¼ from the Rushbury station.  The church of St. Edith is a neat stone building in the Norman and Early Decorated styles, and has recently been restored.  The living is a rectory, yearly value £350, in the patronage of Humphrey Sandford, Esq.  Arthur Sparrow, Esq., is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are the Rev. R. J. Buddicom, J. Loxley Warren, M. G. Benson, and J. F. Wright, Esqrs.  The area of the parish is 6,201 acres, and the population in 1868 was 544; gross estimated rental, £5,569; rateable value, £5,243.
Hatton is a small village, about 1 mile and a half from the parish church.
Ticklerton is a township and small village, about 1 mile north-west from the parish church, and distant 4 miles from the railway station at Church Stretton.
Longville-in-the-Dale is a township in this parish.
Letters through Church Stretton.

Eaton-under-Heywood
Sandford Rev. Holland, M.A. Rectory
Brett Samuel, farmer
Carter Thomas, farmer
Cleeton Richard, farmer
Falkner John, farmer
Farmer Thomas, farmer
Hince Thomas, farmer
Hotchkiss Samuel, farmer
Jones Cornelius, farmer
Lewis John, farmer
Rooke John, miller
Hatton
Benbow Edward, farmer
Hales William, farmer
Manley Joseph, farmer
Rawlins John, farmer
Wall John, farmer
Longville-in-the-Dale
Butcher Richard, farmer
Cambell Thomas, farmer
Corfield John, farmer
Madelin John William, farmer
Mason Edwin, Station Inn
Preece Francis, farmer
Roberts Thomas and Benjamin, farmers
Rowlands Edward, farmer
Speake Henry, farmer
Wall Edward, farmer
East Wall
James Mr. john
Mansell Thomas, farmer
Parsons Phineas, farmer
Hungerford
Pugh Thomas, Buck’s Head Inn
Millichope
Carter Thomas, farmer
Downes Edward, farmer
Preece John, farmer
Ticklerton
Buddicom William, esq. Ticklerton house
Garfit George Denshire, esq. The Bank
Croxton Bazaliel, blacksmith
Davies Richard, beer retailer
Downes William, farmer
Ellson John, farmer
Harley Edwin, beer retailer
Holmes John, farmer
Hughes Charles, farmer
Marston John, farmer
Pinches John, farmer
Pritchard Richard, farmer
Robinson William, farmer
Rodgers Robert, farmer
Rogers John, farmer
Rogers Richard, farmer
Wilkes Richard, farmer
Williams Richard, shoe maker

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Parish Registers

Eaton-under-Heywood Baptisms 1835 to 1837

Eaton-under-Heywood Baptisms 1830 to 1835

Eaton-under-Heywood Baptisms 1825 to 1829

Eaton-under-Heywood Baptisms 1820 to 1824

Eaton-under-Heywood Baptisms 1813 to 1819

Eaton-under-Heywood Marriages 1835 to 1837

Eaton-under-Heywood Burials 1826 to 1837

Eaton-under-Heywood Burials 1813 to 1825

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Church Stretton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Wenlock
  • Poor Law Union: Church Stretton
  • Hundred: Munslow
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts