Dowles is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin: 1572
Dowles church was demolished in 1956
Parishes adjacent to Dowles
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Dowles, a parish in the district of Kidderminster and county of Salop; on the river Severn, and on the Severn Valley railway, at the boundary with Worcester, 1¼ mile NNW of Bewdley. Post town, Bewdley. Acres, 679. Rated property, £1, 130. Pop., 98. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £159. Patrons, J. Taylor and others. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Dowles, a parish in Stottesden hund., union of Kidderminster, county of Salop, about a mile north of Bewdley, on the western bank of the Severn. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £4; gross income, £161; in the patronage, in 1335, of James Taylor and others. Acres 1,080. Houses 15. A.P. £1,300. Pop., in 1801, 57; in 1831, 62. Poor rates, in 1837, £74.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Dowles (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Kidderminster, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 1 mile (N. by W.) from Bewdley; containing 80 inhabitants. It comprises 680 acres: coal is to be found, and there is a mine of excellent fire-clay. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King’s books at £4, and in the gift of the Heirs of the late Samuel Skey, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £136.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Dowles. A parish in the Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 15 houses, 61 inhabitants. 8 miles east of Cleobury Mortimer.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Kidderminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Burford
- Poor Law Union: Kidderminster
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury