Donington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish church: St. Cuthbert
Parish registers begin: 1556
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Roman Catholic.
Parishes adjacent to Donington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DONINGTON, a parish in Shiffnall district, Salop; on the Shrewsbury and Birmingham railway, contiguous to Boscobel and Royal Oak, 1 mile NW of Albrighton r. station, and 4½ SE by E of Shiffnall. Post town, Albrighton, under Wolverhampton. Acres, 2, 641. Real property, £6, 128; of which £150 are in quarries. Pop., 456. Houses, 84. The property is divided among a few. Tonge Castle, Kilsall, and Dodington Hall are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £673. Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church is old but good, and has a fine tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Donnington. A parish in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry, a rectory in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 67 houses, 330 inhabitants. 5 miles south-east of Shifnal.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Donington Parish Registers 1556-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. III (1901)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Donington Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Donington is a parish, eight miles from Wolverhampton, 132 from London, and 22 from Shrewsbury, in the Southern division of the county, Shifnal division of Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union, and diocese of Lichfield; situated on the Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway, near the Albrighton station. The church of St. Cuthbert is a Gothic stone building. The living is a rectory, yearly value £673, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Sutherland. A school is supported by contributions. A well, called St. Cuthbert’s, is frequently visited by people for the purpose of washing their eyes, which the water is supposed to benefit. In Doomsday book it is said that salt pits were attached to this manor. Wherever, in the Conqueror’s record, salinae, salt works, or salt pans, are mentioned in connection with any manor, some local advantage, a salt spring, or the sea near at hand, is indicated. The charities are of £1 yearly value. Mr Francis Yates, Miss Evans, Walter Giffard Esq., Earl of Bradford, and Earl of Shrewsbury, are chief landowners. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is clay and red sandstone. The charities are only £1 yearly. The population in 1861 was 475; the area is 2,086 acres; gross estimated rental, £5,730; rateable value, £4,908.
Letters through Wolverhampton.
Bunsen Rev. Henry George
Holyoake George, esq., J. P. Neach hill
Jones John, esq., Blue house
Molineux Charles esq., Kilsal hall
Smyth Lieut. Col. J., Shackerley hall
Witney Mrs. Brooklands
Cherrington Emma, farmer Neach hill
Duncalfe William, farmer, Chapel house
Ferneyhough Rupert, farmer, Dairy house
Matthews William, brick and tile maker
Miller Richard, farmer, Sydnal
Miller William, farmer
Pullen Richard, miller, Shackerley
Radford Henry, blacksmith, Shackerley
Reynolds Richard, shoe maker
Russell Thomas, parish clerk
Ward Charles, farmer, Lower Wood
Woolrych Henry, farmer, Humpreston
Yates Francis, farmer, Wood farm
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Shifnal
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Shifnal
- Poor Law Union: Shifnal
- Hundred: Brimstree
- Province: Canterbury