Diddlebury

Photo of Footbridge over stream, near to Diddlebury, Shropshire by Row17, some rights reserved.

Diddlebury Shropshire Family History & Genealogy

Diddlebury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Diddlebury is a parish on the river Corve, situated eight miles north of Ludlow. It is in the Diocese of Hereford, the Archdeaconry and Rural Deanery of Ludlow, and the Hundred of Munslow. The parish has an area of 8,690 acres, and it contains the hamlets of Diddlebury, Westhope, Middlehope, Corfton, Sparchford, Ermestry Park, Great and Little Sutton, Lawton, Peaton, Bromcroft and Poston. The population in 1901 was 709. Source: Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XV (1912). Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.

Church: St. Peter

Parish Registers begin: 1583

Nonconformists in Diddlebury: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Diddlebury

  • Stanton Lacy
  • Heath
  • Cleobury North
  • Halford
  • Acton Scott
  • Cold Weston
  • Holdgate
  • Wistanstow
  • Munslow
  • Ditton Priors
  • Abdon
  • Stoke St Milborough
  • Hopton Cangeford
  • Eaton under Haywood
  • Tugford
  • Burwarton
  • Culmington
  • Clee St Margaret

Diddlebury Shropshire Parish Registers 1583-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XV (1912) Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Diddlebury Shropshire Parish Registers 1583-1812 - Archive.org

Historical Descriptions

Diddlebury

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Diddlebury, or Didlesbury, a parish in the hund. of Munslow, union of Ludlow, county ot Salop; 7½ miles north of Ludlow, west of the river Corve. It includes the townships of Diddlebury, Middlehope, Sutton, and Peaton, also Crofton and Splashford, Lawton and Paston, Upper and Lower Parks, and Westhope. Living, a discharged vicarage, with the curacy of Westhope, in the arcbd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £12 1s. 3d.; gross income £381. Patron, the dean and chapter of Hereford. Here was formerly an alien priory. There are 2 daily schools here. Charities, £41 10s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1837, £577. Acres 7,400. Houses 159. A.P. £9,471. Pop., in 1801, 837; in 1831, 920. Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Diddlebury. A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop. 159 houses, 987 inhabitants. 9 miles north of Ludlow. Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Corfton

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870

Corfton, a township in Diddlebury parish, Salop; 6 ½ miles NNW of Ludlow. Pop., 232 Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Corfton. A township in the parish of Diddlebury, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, a chapelry, (but unconnected with Diddlebury church,) in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop. 6 miles north of Ludlow. Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Ermestry Park

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Earnstrey-Park, a township in Diddlebury parish, Salop; under Brown-Clee hill, 9 12 miles SW of Bridgnorth. Pop., 38. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Great Sutton

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Sutton, 5 m. N. Ludlow, included in Diddlebury Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Great Sutton. A township in the parish of Diddlebury, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow. 5 ½ miles north of Ludlow. Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Lawton and Little Sutton

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Lawton and Little Sutton. A township in the parish of Diddlebury, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow. 8 ½ miles south-east by south of Church Stretton. Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Middlehope

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Middlehope. A township in the parish of Diddlebury, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow. 28 houses, 180 inhabitants. Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Peaton

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Peaton, in Diddlebury parish. P. 103 Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Peeton. A township in the parish of Diddlebury, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow. Peeton division of the parish contains 28 houses, 193 inhabitants. 6 ½ miles north-east by north of Ludlow. Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poston

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Poston, incl. in Diddlebury parish Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Upper Parks Lane

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Park’s Lane, (Upper). A township in the parish of Diddlebury, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow. Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Westhope

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1848

Westhope, a chapelry in the parish of Diddlebury, Herefordshire. Living, a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Diddlebury. Returns with Diddlebury Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ludlow
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Ludlow
  • Poor Law Union: Ludlow
  • Hundred: Munslow
  • Province: Canterbury

Poll Books

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire - Image
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire - Text