Culmington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Bache and Norton, Siefton, and Burley.

Parish church: All Saints

Parish registers begin: 1579

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Culmington

Historical Descriptions

Culmington

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CULMINGTON, a township and a parish in Ludlow district, Salop. The township lies on the river Corve, 3 miles NE of Onibury r. station, and 4½ N by W of Ludlow. The parish includes also the townships of Burley, Siefton, and Bache and Norton; and its post town is Bromfield, Salop. Acres, 3,476. Real property, £4,933. Pop., 517. Houses, 104. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £800. Patron, W. J. Clement, Esq. The church is old but good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Culmington (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 5 ½ miles (N. by W.) from Ludlow; containing 541 inhabitants, and comprising by computation 3500 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £18. 9. 2.; net income, £605; patron and incumbent, Rev. W. Johnstone. A school is supported by B. Hounders, Esq.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Culmington Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Culmington. A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow, a rectory remaining in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop. 5 ½ miles north-west by north of Ludlow. 95 houses, 569 inhabitants. There is a considerable increase in the population of Culmington parish; which is partly attributed to a school having been established, chiefly for the education of the children of farmers; the parents for the most part residing in other parishes.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Bache and Norton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Bache and Norton, a township in Culmington parish, Salop; 6 ½ miles SE of Church-Stretton. Pop., 38.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Batch and Norton. A township in the parish of Culmington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 5 miles north-west of Ludlow.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Burley

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Burley. A township in the parish of Culmington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 4 ½ miles north of Ludlow.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Directories

Culmington Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Culmington is a parish, consisting of the townships of Culmington, Sieton [sic], Bache, Norton, and Burley, five miles from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, lower division of Munslow hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford.  The church of All Saints’ is a small plain building.  The living is a rectory, in the gift of W. J. Clement, Esq.; the tithes are commuted at £685 yearly, with residence, and about 40 acres of glebe land.  At the Doomsday survey Earl Roger held Comintine, which Edric held before the Conquest.  It was for some time held by the same lord, and included in the same tenure as the castle of Corfham.  King Henry II. gave Culmington to Walter de Clifford, and it was afterwards carried in marriage to William Longspe, who, being overthrown in a tournament, is stated to have died of grief in the flower of his age.  His widow married Sir John Giffard, who procured a charter of free warren for his lands here, and died possessed of them in the 27th of Edward I.  It afterwards passed to the L’Estranges, and then to the Talbots, Earls of Shrewsbury.  There is an old Roman camp, called Norton camp.  Edward Wood, Esq., who is lord of the manor, and John Derby Allcroft, Esq., are the principal landowners.  The soil is gravelly and loamy; subsoil, gravel and sandstone.  The area is 3,435 acres, and the population in 1861 was 517; gross estimated rental, £5,402; rateable value, £4,558.
Letters through Bromfield.

Culmington
Preece Mr. John, Langley cottage
Wood Edward, esq., Manor house
Anslow Elizabeth, blacksmith
Beddoes James, farmer
Botfield William, shoe maker, and registrar of births and deaths
Cadwallader John, Royal Oak Inn
James Thomas, wheelwright
Lockhart James, farmer
Lockhart James, junr., farmer
Morris William, farmer
Passey William, farmer, Medley park

Siefton
William Rev. Alfred, M.A., Rectory
Williams Rev. Frederick Mackenie, M.A.
Davies John, farrier
Holbeche George, schoolmaster and deputy registrar
Instone Henry, farmer
Lander Eaton, farmer, New house
Leighton Samuel, shopkeeper and shoe maker

Bache
Bassett Edward, farmer
Tarte Herbert, farmer

Norton
Bach Richard, farmer
Bromley Isabella, farmer

Burley
Barker Timothy, blacksmith
Moyle John, wheelwright
Rickards John, cooper
Whiteman Richard, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Poll Books

Culmington, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Ludlow Polling District

Culmington, Parish of

2354 Anslow Alexander
2355 Bach Richard
2356 Bassett Edward
2357 Botfield William
2358 Clement William James
2359 Fewtrell Richard, see 2380
2360 Fewtrell George
2361 Instone Henry
2362 Leighton Samuel
2363 Maund Edward
2364 Morris William
2365 Newall Frederick
2366 Pearce Richard
2367 Preece John
2368 Taylor Edward
2369 Whiteman Richard
2370 Williams Alfred
2371 Williams Thomas
2372 Wood Henry
2373 Wood Thomas

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ludlow
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Ludlow
  • Poor Law Union: Ludlow
  • Hundred: Munslow
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts