Coreley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1543
Parishes adjacent to Coreley
Coreley Shropshire Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Coreley, a parish in Cleobury-Mortimer district, Salop; under the Clee Hills, 3½ miles NNE of Tenbury r. station, and 5 WSW of Cleobury-Mortimer. Post-town, Tenbury. Acres, 2175. Rated property, £1,490. Pop., 515. Houses, 106. The properly is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £280. Patron, A. F. Haliburton, Esq. The church is of brick, and ancient, with tower and spire; and was reported in 1859 as bad.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Coreley or Corley Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Coreley; or Corley. A parish in the Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Burford, and archdeaconry of Salop. 121 houses, 566 inhabitants. 6 miles east of Ludlow.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Coreley, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Cleobury Mortimer Polling District
Coreley— Parish of
1518 Bassett John
1519 Barber Stephen, 1595
1520 Breakwell James
1521 Corfield Edwin
1522 Clayton Joseph
1523 Davies William
1524 Edwards, Thomas
1525 Evans Benjamin
1526 Hardwick Vincent
1527 Hatton Richard, see 1557
1528 Miles Lomas
1529 Mound Thomas
1530 Mytton Edward
1531 Mytton John
1532 Pearson John, 1737
1533 Pearson William, 1736
1534 Preece William
1535 Wall John
1536 Wyer Richard
1537 Yapp William
Coreley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Coreley is a parish and village, 15 miles from Kidderminster 5 from Tenbury, and 4 from Cleobury Mortimer, in the Southern division of the county, Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, union of Cleobury Mortimer, and diocese of Hereford. Coreley was one of those manors which, after the battle of Evesham, Mortimer annexed his honour of Cleobury. The church of St. Peter is a brick building. The living is a rectory, yearly value £268, with residence and 65 acres of glebe land, in the gift of John Burnett Stuart. A school for children of both sexes is supported by subscription and the children’s pence. In this parish are extensive coal pits, and there is also ironstone. The Earl of Craven is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is stiff clay and gravel; subsoil, clay, rock, and coal. The charities amount to £24. The chief crops are wheat. The area is 2,173 acres, and the population in 1861 was 515; gross estimated rental, £2,076; rateable value, £1,896.
Letters are received through Tenbury.
Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages, William Rose.
Miles Rev. Lomas, M.A.
Adams George, farmer, New barns
Adams William, farmer, Hince
Bassett John, farmer, Church Stiles
Bishop William, blacksmith
Boden William, shoe maker
Breakwell James, farmer
Brown Samuel, wheelwright
Clayton Joseph, farmer
Davies William, farmer, Woodrow
Edwards Mary, shopkeeper
Edwards Richard, carrier
George John, farmer, Brook row
Hammond Benjamin, shoe maker
Honeybourn William, Poplars Inn
Jefferies Jeremiah, farmer
Morris Benjamin, farm bailiff
Mytton Edward, farmer
Newell Frederick, carpenter, and assistant overseer
Pearson William, coal owner
Thomas Edmund, Collier’s Arms
Webb John, shoe maker
Yapp Edwin, farmer
Yapp James, farmer
Yapp William, farmer and landowner
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Cleobury Mortimer
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Burford
- Poor Law Union: Cleobury Mortimer
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury