Condover Shropshire Family History Guide

Condover is a village and wide parish lying south of Shrewsbury. It formerly took in Bayston Hill, where it joined the Shrewsbury parish of St. Julian, and Annscroft and Great Lyth, where it met that of St. Chad, and the township of Dorrington, which was formed into a separate parish in 1845. The parish still extends from the Old Paper Mill near Longnor to the base of the Sharpstones Hill, and from the outskirts of Exford's Green almost to Cantlop. It takes in the whole of the manor of Condover (which includes Norton, Bomere, Allfield, Wheathall, Ryton, Gonsall, Chatford and Dorrington); Little Lyth and Westley in the manor of Pulverbatch; Bayston (which as part of the ancient possessions of the See of Hereford, is accounted a member of the manor of Bishop's Castle), and Boreton, which was an independent manor in medieval times. The early parish was of still wider extent. A payment for two “home closes” at Stapleton seems to show that there was once a parochial connection between that village and Condover, as there may have been also with Smethcote. Leebotwood and Longnor were both part of the early parish, and Longnor was regarded as a chapelry of Condover, with right of burial at the mother Church till comparatively modern times. Frodesley also retained the right of burial at Condover till 1782, and the south transept of Condover Church was known as the Frodesley aisle.
Source: Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. VI (1906). Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1570

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Parishes adjacent to Condover

Historical Descriptions

Condover

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CONDOVER, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Salop. The village stands on an affluent of the river Severn, adjacent to the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 4½ miles S of Shrewsbury; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Shrewsbury. The parish includes also the villages of Chatford and Dorrington. Acres, 7,422. Real property, £14,431. Pop., 1,871. Houses, 376. The property is subdivided. Condover House is the seat of E. W. S. Owen, Esq.; and was built, about 1590, by Chief Justice Owen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £258. Patron, R. Cholmondely, Esq. The church is chiefly Norman; contains monuments of the Owens, one of them by Roubiliac; and is good. The p. curacy of Dorrington is a separate benefice. Charities, £66. The sub-district is in Atcham district; and contains fourteen parishes. Acres, 37,057. Pop., 6,063. Houses, 1,157. The hundred includes most of the sub-district; extends considerably beyond it; and is cut into the divisions of Condover and Cound. Acres, 25,630 and 19,684. Pop. of the whole, 6,551. Houses, 1,261.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Condover. A parish in the Condover division of the hundred of Condover, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 274 houses, 1,378 inhabitants. 4 ½ miles south of Shrewsbury.
Condover is the birth place of Thomas Owen, a learned judge, who was educated at Oxford; from whence he removed to Lincoln’s Inn, where he became Lent reader to the society, in 1583. In 1590, he was made Serjeant at Law, and afterwards, a judge of the Common Pleas. He died in 1598. His reports were printed in 1656.
Richard Tarlton, or Tarleton, the earliest English comedian of celebrity, was also born at Condover. At what precise period he commenced actor is unknown. He was brought to London, and introduced to court, by a Servant of Robert, Earl of Leicester, who found him in a field, keeping his father’s swine. The Earl ‘highly pleased’ says Fuller, ‘with his happy unhappy answers,’ took him under his patronage.
In 1583, Queen Elizabeth, at the suit of Sir Francis Walsingham, constituted twelve players, who were sworn her servants, allowing them wages and liveries, as grooms of the chamber, (a custom which lasted till Colley Cibber’s time,) one of whom, was Tarleton.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Bayston

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bayston. A township in the parish of Condover, and in the Condover division of the hundred of Condover. 2 ½ miles South of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Chatford

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Chatford, a village in Condover parish, Salop; 5 ½ miles SSW of Shrewsbury. Pop., 29.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Chatford. A township in the parish of Condover, and in the Condover division of the hundred of Condover. 4 ½ miles south of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Condover Hamlets

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Condover Hamlets. A township in the parish of Condover, and in the Condover division of the hundred of Condover.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Great Lyth

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Great Lyth. A township in the parish of Condover, and in the Condover division of the hundred of Condover. 4 miles south-west of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Great Ryton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Great Ryton. A township in the parish of Condover, and in the Condover division of the hundred of Condover. 6 miles south of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Little Lyth and Westley

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Little Lyth and Westley. A township in the parish of Condover, and in the Condover division of the hundred of Condover. 4 miles south-west of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Lyth Wood

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Lyth Wood. A township in the parish of Condover, and in the Condover division of the hundred of Condover. 3 miles south-west of Shrewsbury. The residence of Thomas Parr, Esq.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Norton

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Norton. A township in the parish of Condover, and in the Condover division of the hundred of Condover. 4 miles south of Shrewsbury. The seat of Miss Oakley.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Parish Registers

Condover Parish Registers 1570-1812

Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. VI (1906)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; W.P.W. Phillimore
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Condover Parish Registers 1570-1812 - Archive.org

Transcriptions

Condover Baptisms

Condover Baptisms 1810 to 1812

Condover Baptisms 1807 to 1809

Condover Baptisms 1804 to 1806

Condover Baptisms 1802 and 1803

Condover Baptisms 1800 and 1801

Condover Baptisms 1797 to 1799

Condover Baptisms 1794 to 1796

Condover Baptisms 1791 to 1793

Condover Baptisms 1788 to 1790

Condover Baptisms 1786 to 1787

Condover Baptisms 1784 to 1785

Condover Marriages

Condover Marriages 1800 to 1812

Condover Burials

Condover Burials 1810 to 1812

Condover Burials 1805 to 1809

Condover Burials 1800 to 1804

Condover Burials 1795 to 1799

Condover Burials 1790 to 1794

Condover Burials 1787 to 1789

Condover Burials 1784 to 1786

Poll Books

Condover, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Church Stretton Polling District

Condover, Parish of

1100 Aston William

1101 Barratt William

1102 Beacall Thomas

1103 Blakemore Job

1104 Blakemore Frederick

1105 Blakemore Henry

1106 Bridgeman John, see 2928

1107 Bowdler Edward

1108 Bromley Richard

1109 Bromley Richard

1110 Bromley Thomas

1111 Bromley William, dead

1112 Bromley John

1113 Bowyer Thomas

1114 Cavell John

1115 Challoner Thomas

1116 Chidley Edward, see 1321

1117 Cloud John, see 1238

1118 Cookson William

1119 Cooper William, see 2761, 2874

1120 Dales Richard Hudson

1121 Davies John

1122 Davies John

1123 Davies John

1124 Davies Samuel, dead

1125 Davies Thomas

1126 Deakin Benjamin, see 2955

1127 Duckett Richard

1128 Duckett William

1129 Duckett William, dead

1130 Dyas Richard

1131 Edmonds Lloyd Edward

1132 Edmonds John

1133 Edmonds Thomas

1134 Edwardes Thomas Henry Hope, see 1341

1135 Edwards John

1136 Edwards Edward

1137 Evans George

1138 Evans Richard

1139 Evans John

1140 Ferriday William

1141 Grainger Samuel

1142 Goff Edward

1143 Goff John

1144 Griffiths William

1145 Gwynne Richard

1146 Habberley Richard

1147 Habberley William

1148 Harden Joseph Webster

1149 Harley Edward

1150 Hazell William

1151 Hickman Thomas

1152 Higginson John

1153 Hiles Timothy

1154 Hiles James

1155 Holder William

1156 Holder William

1157 Holder Thomas

1158 Hotchkiss John

1159 Hotchkiss Jeremiah

1160 Hornby Robert, The Rev.

1161 Hoult John

1162 Humphreys John

1163 Hughes William

1164 Jenks William

1165 Jones Edward

1166 Jones Timothy

1167 Jones George

1168 Jones Richard

1169 Jones William Wall

1170 Juckes Richard

1171 Kite Richard

1172 Langford John

1173 Lloyd John

1174 Marsh Joseph

1175 Millington Richard

1176 Morgan Thomas

1177 Mountford John

1178 Owen Thomas, dead

1179 Parton John

1180 Passant William

1181 Poole John, dead

1182 Poole Samuel

1183 Poole Thomas, sen.

1184 Poole Thomas, jun.

1185 Price Richard

1186 Price Thomas

1187 Proctor Thomas

1188 Richards Edward

1189 Richards John

1190 Richards William, dead

1191 Roberts Lewis

1192 Sankey John

1193 Sargeant Richard

1194 Savage William

1195 Scott George Jonathan

1196 Smith Samuel

1197 Smith William

1198 Stewart Robert

1199 Southern Francis Richard, see 2605

1200 Southerton Edward

1201 Teece Charles Bowen

1202 Thomas William

1203 Thomas Richard

1204 Thomas John

1205 Tipton William

1206 Wace Henry Thomas

1207 Wace George

1208 Wall Richard

1209 Ward Edward, dead

1210 Wickham William Harding

1211 Winnall Richard

1212 Williams John

1213 Williams William

1214 Williams John

1215 Wood Samuel, see 2861

1216 Yardley John

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Condover
  • Poor Law Union: Atcham
  • Hundred: Condover
  • Province: Canterbury