Clunbury, Shropshire Family History Guide

Clunbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Brompton, Causton, Clunton, Purslow, Kempton, Obley, and Coston.

Clunbury is a parish and village, about 7 miles south-east from Bishop’s Castle, and 4 miles east from Clun, in the hundred of Purslow, rural deanery of Clun, and diocese of Hereford. The area of the parish is about 7278 acres.

The religious census of Shropshire, taken in 1676, shows that there were then in Clunbury 329 Conformists, no Papists, and 5 Nonconformists, “inhabitants above the age of 16.” The population would therefore seem to have increased, probably above 30 per cent. since that census was taken. In 1881 it was 986; in 1891, 907.

The Parish of Clunbury comprises within its limits no less than six Domesday manors: Clunbury, Coston, Purslow, Kempton, Clunton, and Obley. It originally formed part of the huge parish of Clun, as we find that temp. Rich. I., Isabel de Say, Lady of Clun, gave the Rectory of St. George’s, Clun, with the Chapels (among others) of St. Swithun’s, Clunbury, and St. Mary’s, Clunton, to the Priory of Wenlock. One result of this donation appears to have been the extinction of the Chapel at Clunton, though a piece of land in that village still bears the name of “The Church-yard,” thus probably indicating its former situation. The present District Church of St. Mary was built in 1870.
Source: Clunbury Parish Registers 1574-1812. Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. II (1901)

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1574

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Clunbury

Clunbury Church

The Church, though of small size – nave 63 x 19ft., chancel 19ft. 6 x 19ft. – contains several points of interest. The West end of the Church retains a West door of plain Norman work, a South door of slightly later date, and two Norman windows with narrow openings and deep internal splays. Proceeding Eastward, we come to three windows on the South, and two on the North side, of dates ranging from 14th to 15th century work, beneath one of which is the remains of a piscina. The chancel was built in 1847, on the site of a previously existing chancel and side aisle or chapel.
The roof of the nave is of good 14th century type, of a form common in this part of Shropshire.
The tower, 14th century in its lower, late 15th century in its upper portion, contains a good ring of six bells: of these one is ancient (1620) and untouched, two are also ancient (1631 and 1639), but re-cast in 1887, at which time 3 others were added in commemoration of Her Majesty’s Jubilee, by Messrs. Warner & Son of London.
The Church was restored in 1880-81, under the direction of Mr. J. P. St. Aubyn.

Historical Descriptions

Clunbury

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CLUNBURY, a township and a parish in Clun district, Salop. The township lies on the river Clun, 2¾ miles NW of Broom and Aston r. station, and 4½ E of Clun. Pop., 258. The parish contains also the townships of Causton, Clunton, Kempton, Obley, and Purslow; and its post town is Aston-on-Clun. Acres, 5,404. Real property, £9,987. Pop., 1,029. Houses, 213. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £120. Patron, the Earl of Powis. The church is ancient and tolerable. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Brompton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Brompton. A township in the parish of Clunbury, and in the Stow division of the hundred of Purslow. 5 ½ miles south-east of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Kempton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Kempton. A township in the parish of Clunbury, and in the Stow division of the hunched of Purslow. 4 ½ miles south-east by south of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Little Brompton

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Little Brompton. A township in the parish of Clunbury, and in the Stow division of the hundred of Purslow. 5 ½ miles south-east of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Obley

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Obley. A township in the parish of Clunbury, and in the hundred of Clun. 7 miles south of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Purslow

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Purslow, a township and a hundred in Salop. The township is in Clunbury parish, and lies 5 1/2 miles SE of Bishops-Castle. Pop., 31. The hundred comprises the divisions of Bishops-Castle and Stow. Acres, 66,342. Pop., 9,536. Houses, 1,876.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Poll Books

Clunbury, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Clun Polling District

Clunbury, Parish of

2062 Anthony Thomas

2063 Baldwin John

2064 Bright Samuel

2065 Bowen Edward

2066 Bore Charles

2067 Cadwallader John

2068 Chapman John

2069 Cruxon John

2070 Bavies John

2071 Davies Edward

2072 Dodd Edward

2073 Edwards Joseph

2074 Edwards Richard

2075 Ellis John

2076 Everall John, see 326, 1916

2077 Groves Richard

2078 Griffiths Edward

2079 Griffiths William, see 1370

2080 Hamer George

2081 Hints Richard

2082 Hints Thomas

2083 Hints William

2084 Jellicose William

2085 Jones Richard

2086 Jordan John

2087 Luscot Richard

2088 Meyrick William

2089 Matyard Charles Joseph

2090 Merrell Thomas

2091 Morris James

2092 Norton Edward

2093 Pugh Thomas

2094 Rudd John

2095 Simmonds Robert

2096 Smith Edward

2097 Statham Rowland

2098 Southern Francis

2099 Tailor Thomas

2100 Thomas Richard

2101 Urwick William, see 204, 2611

2102 Vaughan Britell William

2103 Williams John

2104 Williams Edward

2105 Williams Thomas

2106 Woolley John

Parish Registers

Clunbury Parish Registers 1574-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. II (1901)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Clunbury Parish Registers 1574-1812 - Archive.org

Transcriptions

Clunbury Registers – General Information

Clunbury Registers – Marriages 1798 to 1812

Clunbury Registers 1810 to 1812

Clunbury Registers 1805 to 1809

Clunbury Registers 1800 to 1804

Clunbury Registers 1795 to 1799

Clunbury Registers 1790 to 1794

Clunbury Registers 1788 to 1789

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Clun
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Clun
  • Poor Law Union: Clun
  • Hundred: Purslow
  • Province: Canterbury