Clive is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1753 from chapelry in Shrewsbury St Mary Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Clive and Sansaw
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1671
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Clive
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLIVE, a chapelry in St. Mary parish, Salop; on the Crewe and Shrewsbury railway, near Yorton station, 3 miles S of Wem. Post town, Grinshill, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 1,370. Pop., 302. Houses, 60. The chapelry was constituted in 1860. The property is much subdivided. Clive Wood, on Clive Hill, has a fine view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £111. Patrons, Trustees. The church is old but good; and there is an Independent chapel. Wycherley the poet, and afterwards Ireland, were natives here in one house.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Clive Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Clive. A chapelry in the parish of St. Mary, Shrewsbury, and in the liberties of Shrewsbury. 54 houses, 306 inhabitants. 3 miles south of Wem. This is said to have been the birth place of the poet Wycherley; though some affirm that he was born at the Trench Farm, near Wem, and others, at Wem. Wycherley was one of the wits and poets of the reign of Charles the second, and was born about the year 1640. After receiving an education at school, he was sent to France, and conformed to the Roman Catholick religion. A little before the restoration he returned to England, and entered as a Gentleman commoner, at Queen’s college, Oxford; but, being never matriculated, he quitted the University without a degree, and took chambers in the Middle Temple. He soon, however, deserted the law for the Town; and following the taste of that dissipated age, devoted himself to the composition of comedies. His first piece, entitled “Love in a wood, or St. James’s Park,” made its appearance in 1672, and quickly brought its author into notice. He became a favourite with the Duchess of Cleveland, and was much esteemed by Villiers, the witty Duke of Buckingham, who presented him with a captain’s commission in his own company. His good fortune did not stop here, for he was honoured with the attentions of his Majesty, who paid him a visit when he was confined by sickness, and made him many promises of future promotion. But his prospects were blasted by his marriage with the Countess of Drogheda, without acquainting the king. The match did not prove a very happy one. His lady was excessively jealous of him; and though on her death, a few years after, she settled her whole estate on her husband, the title was disputed, and he became so involved in his circumstances, by law expenses and other incumbrances, that he was thrown into prison. He had remained in confinement about seven years, when James the second, going to see his comedy of “The Plain Dealer,” was so much delighted with it that he gave orders for the payment of the author’s debts, and granted him a pension of £200 a year. But the concealment of part of his debts, and the subsequent changes of the times, left him still under difficulties, which were not removed by his father’s death, when he became only a tenant for life of the estate to which he succeeded. In his old age he raised some money, and at the same time made a good bargain for a future widow, by marrying, a few days before his death, a younger woman with £1500, on whom he settled a jointure. Wycherley died in 1715, at the age of seventy-five. This writer is remembered only as a writer of comedies; of which, besides the two already mentioned, he composed two more, “The Gentleman Dancing Master,” and the “Country Wife”. The last of these, and the “Plain Dealer”, were the most noted; and the reputation he acquired was such that Lord Rochester pronounces Wycherley and Shadwell to be the only modern wits who have touched upon true comedy. This was one libertine judging of another; for the plays of Wycherley, are strongly marked with his own character, – some wit and strength of delineation, with much coarseness and licentiousness. It has been said of his manner, compared with Moliere’s, that Wycherley’s “Plain Dealer” is a misanthrope, and Moliere’s misanthrope a plain dealer. He attacks vice with the severity of a cynick, and the language of a libertine. A volume of poems which he published in 1704, succeeded so ill, that he applied to Pope, then a mere youth, with whom he had contracted an acquaintance, to correct the versification. The correspondence between them is printed in the collection of Pope’s letters, and the editor observes upon them, that to judge by the manner of thinking, and turn of expression, one might suppose that they were mistitled and that those assigned to the boy belonged to the man of seventy, and vice versa. Dr Johnson remarks, that ‘When Pope was sufficiently bold in his criticisms, the old scribbler was angry to see his pages defaced, and felt more pain from the detection, than pleasure from the amendment of his faults.’ The posthumous works of Wycherley, in prose and verse were published by Theobald, in 1728. 8vo.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Clive Parish Registers
Clive Parish Registers 1671-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. VI1 (1909)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Clive Parish Registers 1671-1812 – Archive.org
The Registers of Hadnall and Clive Independent Chapels 1798-1837
Shropshire parish registers : Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers (1903)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Evans, George Eyre; Fletcher, W. G. D. (William George Dimock), 1851-1935; Kinsella, William
Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
The Registers of Hadnall and Clive Independent Chapels 1798-1837 – Archive.org
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Wem
- Probate Court: Court of the Royal Peculiar of St Mary Shrewsbury
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Wem
- Poor Law Union: Wem
- Hundred: Albrighton Division
- Province: Canterbury