Church Aston, Shropshire Family History Guide

Church Aston and Chetwynd Aston, form a parish in Shropshire. The church of St. Andrew is in Church Aston, and was rebuilt in 1867.

Other places included in the parish: Chetwynd Aston or Field Aston.

Parish church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin: 1620

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Church Aston

  • Lilleshall
  • Longford
  • Newport
  • Edgmond

Historical Descriptions

Church Aston

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CHURCH-ASTON, a chapelry in Edgmond parish, Salop; 1 mile S of Newport. Real property, £3,372. Pop., 574. Houses, 123. The living is a rectory. Value, £145. The church was rebuilt in 1867.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Church Aston. A township in the Newport division of the hundred of Bradford, South, a chapel to the parish of Edgmond, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 73 houses, 329 inhabitants. ¾ mile south from Newport.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Chetwynd Aston

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CHETWYND-ASTON, or Aston-Chetwynd, a township in Edgmond parish, Salop; 1 mile S of Newport. Real property, £2,789. Pop., 392. Houses, 83.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

Church Aston and Chetwynd Aston Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Church Aston and Chetwynd Aston, form a parish in Newport union; situated  1 mile south-south-west from Newport, on the road from that town to Wellington. The church of St. Andrew is in Church Aston, and was rebuilt in 1867. The living is a rectory, annual value £145, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. C. F. C. Pigatt, M.A.. A National school was erected in 1840. There are charities of £18 yearly. Ralph Merrick Leeke, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, red sand. Church Aston has an area of 720 acres; gross estimated rental, £3,300; rateable value, £2,785.

Chetwynd Aston, or Field Aston, is a township, 1 mile south from Newport, with an area of 1,244 acres; gross estimated rental, £3,130: rateable value, £2,785. The population in 1861 was 1,005.

Letters from Newport.

Railway Station, John Cartwright, stations master.

Church Aston.

Corbett Henry, esq. J.P. Aston hall
Doody Mr. George, The Grove
Hutchinson Mr. James
Liddle C. R. esq. Highfield
Nickisson Mrs. Rose villa
Picken Mr. James, Old Hall
Thompson Mark, esq. Berkeley villa
Allkins Lewis, hardware turner
Betteley Peter, butcher
Bird Thomas, wine merchant
Doody Thomas, engineering surveyor
Evans James, shopkeeper
Felton Joseph, farmer
Lockley Valentine, butcher
Picken James, classical school
Pooler Henry, farmer
Pooler Richard, auctioneer
Preston John, hay dealer and farmer, Holly grove, Chetwynd Aston
Stevenson Robert, Last inn
Taylor John, butcher
Ward George Joseph, coal merchant
Williams Henry, farmer
Yeomans John, butcher and maltster

Chetwynd Aston.
Palmer Mrs. Chetwynd Aston villa
Ventris Rev. Edward Favell, M.A. Rectory
Allman John, blacksmith
Barnes Samuel, Horse and Jockey inn
Birks Thomas, Wheatsheaf inn
Britain Thomas, farmer
Britain Thomas, jun. farmer
Cheadle James, Wharfinger, Pave lane
Clift and Dawson, Coach builders
Harrison Samuel, shopkeeper
Lockley James, farmer, Little Hales
Mancell Mary, Fox and Duck inn
Paddock James, farmer
Smallwood Richard, farmer, Pave lane
Stanton Peter, shopkeeper
Stoneley James, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Newport
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Newport
  • Poor Law Union: Newport
  • Hundred: South Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury