Chirbury Shropshire Family History Guide

Chirbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Chirbury, called in Welsh Llanfynnonwen, is a village and extensive parish situated on the Montgomeryshire border of Salop, rather more than 18 miles from Shrewsbury and 6 from Welshpool. The parish originally contained the townships of Dudston, Hockleton, Marrington, Marton, Middleton, Priest Weston, Rorrington, Stockton, Timberth, Walcot, Wilmington, Winsbury, and Watherton. Six of these townships have in modern times been separated for ecclesiastical purposes, with Churches at Marton and Middleton.

Marton township became a parish in 1860 for more details see Marton

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin: 1629

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, Independent/Congregational, and Primitive Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Chirbury

  • Worthen
  • Marton
  • Middleton
  • Churchstoke
  • Ackley
  • Trelystan
  • Forden
  • Wropton
  • Montgomery

Historical Descriptions

Chirbury

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Chirbury, or Cherbury, a village and a parish in Salop; and a sub-district in Salop and Montgomery. The village stands in a fine vale, near the Welsh boundary, Offa's dyke, and the Oswestry and Newtown railway, 3 miles NE of Montgomery town and r. station; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. It is the Cyric-byrig of the Saxons; has remains of an Augustinian abbey, founded, in the time of Henry III., by Robert de Boulers; and gave the title of Cherbury to the famous Lord Herbert. The parish contains also the townships of Dudstone, Hockleton, Marrington, Marton, Middleton, Priestweston, Rorrington, Stockton, Timberth, Walcot, Wilmington, Winsbury, and Wotherton. Acres, 11, 041. Real property, £12, 829. Pop., 1, 538. Houses, 313. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £179. Patrons, Trustees. The church belonged to the abbey; and is good. The vicarages of Middleton and Marton are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists; and charities £100. Bishop Chirbury, who died in 1497, was a native.—The sub-district contains also another parish in Salop and a parish in Montgomery; and is in the district of Montgomery. Acres, 18, 668. Pop., 5, 756. Houses, 1,113.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Chirbury, a parish in Chirbury hundred; pleasantly situated in a fine and fertile vale; 3 miles north-east of Montgomery. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £9 6s. 8d., returned at £120; gross income £180. The church consists of the nave of the conventual church of a priory of Austin canons. The tithes of this extensive parish were granted by Queen Elizabeth to the grammar-school of Shrewsbury. Patrons, the corporation of Shrewsbury. The Independents and Baptists have places of worship here; the Independent church was formed in 1829, and the Baptist in the same year. In 1675, the Rev. Edward Lewis founded a free school here; income, in 1830, £100; average number of scholars about 50; schoolmaster’s salary £20. Out of the income a sum of £1 was given to each of 10 poor widows, and the remainder was laid out in repairs and other contingencies. Minor charities, in 1830, £1. Chirbury is principally noted as having given the title of Baron to the celebrated Edward Lord Herbert of Montgomery. Acres 11,880. Houses 296. A. P. £9,182. Pop., in 1801, 1,391; in 1831, 1,576. Poor rates, in 1838, £844 18s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1831

Chirbury, a parish in the hundred of Chirbury, county of Salop, 3¼ miles (E. N.E.) from Montgomery, containing 1442 inhabitants. The living is a Vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £9. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Mayor and Corporation of Shrewsbury. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is in the early style of English architecture, with a fine square tower at the west end, surmounted by open-worked battlements and eight pinnacles: it consists of the nave of the conventual church of an abbey of Augustine friars, founded in the reign of Henry III., by Robert de Boulers, and removed to this place, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was £87. 7. 4. A considerable endowment in land was given in 1675, by Edward Lewis, for the maintenance of a schoolmaster. The castle, a stately structure, which formerly stood on the bank of the Severn, was erected by Ethelfreda, Countess of Mercia, to repel the incursions of the Welch. Edward, the celebrated Lord Herbert, was created baron of Chirbury, but the title became extinct at his death.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Chirbury. A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury, a vicarage remaining in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Pontesbury, and archdeaconry of Salop. 259 houses, 1,442 inhabitants. 19 miles south-west of Shrewsbury.
Chirbury is a pleasant village, lying in a fertile valley, on the confines of Montgomeryshire. It formerly possessed a Castle, supposed to have been erected by Ethelfleda, Queen of Mercia; and as it gives its name to the hundred in which it is situated, it may be presumed that the place was at one time of greater consequence than it is at present. The ruins of a priory of Augustine Canons is its chief architectural antiquity. The cave of that edifice forms the present parish church, and has on each side six pointed arches, on plain round pillars. At the west end is a strong and handsome square tower, with eight pinnacles, and an open worked battlement. Within a few years there was a fine deep-toned priory bell, which was used for ringing the curfew. The new peal of six bells was formed from the metal of this, (which had been cracked) and three smaller bells. The tithes of this parish were given, by Queen Elizabeth, to the Grammar School of Shrewsbury, founded by her brother Edward the sixth. Chirbury gave title to the celebrated Edward Lord Herbert, who was born at Eyton.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Dudston

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Dudston. A township in the parish of Chirbury, and in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury. 1 ½ mile north of Montgomery. 7 ½ miles north-west of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hockleton

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Hockleton. A township in the parish of Chirbury, and in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury. 7 miles north-west of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Marrington

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Marrington. A township in the parish of Chirbury, and in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury. 6 miles north-west of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Marton

Marton township became a parish in 1860 for more details see Marton

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Marton. A township in the parish of Chirbury, and in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury. 15 ½ miles south-west of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Middleton

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Middleton. A township in the parish of Chirbury, and in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury. 6 ½ miles north-west by north of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Priest Weston

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Priest Weston. A township in the parish of Chirbury, and in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury. 6 miles north-west of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Rorrington

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Rorrington. A township in the parish of Chirbury, and in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury. 8 miles north-west by north of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Wilmington

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Wilmington, a hamlet in the parish of Chirbury, Salop; 7¾ miles north of Bishop's-Castle.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Poll Books

Poll Book 1865, Chirbury Shropshire

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Bishop’s Castle Polling District

Chirbury, Parish of

126 Anwyl Robert
127 Beamand Richard, dead
128 Bevan Thomas
129 Bennett Richard
130 Bowen John Bedford, dead
131 Butler Thomas
132 Bunner John
133 Burd John

134 Clark John

* Darvill Henry, to vote at Shiffinal

* Darvill Henry, the younger, to vote at Shiffnal

135 Davies John
136 Davies William
137 Davies Edward
138 Davies Edward
139 Davies Edward, jun.
140 Edmunds George
141 Edmunds Richard
142 Embrey Thomas Pryce
143 Elwell Charles John
144 Evans John
145 Evans Thomas
146 Edwards John
147 Farmer Thomas
148 Francis John
149 Gardner Thomas
150 Gardner Humphrey
151 Gittins James
152 Groves Richard Phillips
153 Gittins Simon
154 Gough John
155 Groves William
156 Haynes Jesse
157 Hurdley Francis
158 Hotchkiss Edward
159 Hughes James
160 Hughes Richard
161 Humphreys Edward
162 Humphreys Arthur Lloyd, dead, see 265
163 Jones Matthew Edward
164 Jones Matthew Edward, jun.
165 Jones Thomas
166 Jones William
167 Jones Thomas
168 Jones John
169 Kennedy Benjamin Ball
170 Langford William
171 Lewis Richard
172 Lloyd Thomas Bucknall
173 Matthews William
174 Medlicott John
175 Mellings Richard
176 Mellings Robert
177 Morgan Richard
178 Mountford Thomas
179 Naylor John, see 1813
180 Nevitt Francis
181 Nevitt William
182 Oliver John
183 Pearce John
184 Pearce Samuel
185 Powell Edward
186 Powell Moses
187 Preece Vincent
188 Pryce Richard
189 Pryce William
190 Pryce Samuel
191 Pryce Edward
192 Pryce John
193 Price John
194 Pulley Harry
195 Rigg John
196 Robinson John
197 Rogers John
198 Rowlands Thomas
199 Rubbathan William
200 Smith Edward
201 Smith Phillip
202 Stott Edward Nicholson
203 Tipton John Blakeway, dead
204 Urwick William, see 2101, 2611
205 Watts Thomas
206 Wettings Roger
207 Whettell John
208 Williams Thomas
209 Williams Richard

Chirbury Shropshire Parish Registers 1629-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. VIII (1911)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Chirbury Shropshire Parish Registers 1629-1812 - Archive.org

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Montgomery
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Montgomery
  • Hundred: Chirbury
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Polling District: Bishops Castle