Chetwynd, Shropshire Family History Guide

Chetwynd is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Chetwynd Aston, Howle, Sambrook, and Pickstock.

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin: 1585

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Chetwynd

  • Cheswardine
  • Child's Ercall
  • Hinstock
  • Newport
  • Edgmond
  • Adbaston
  • Forton

Historical Descriptions

Chetwynd Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Chetwynd. A parish in the Newport division of the hundred of Bradford, South, a rectory in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 91 houses, 566 inhabitants. 1 ½ mile north of Newport.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Chetwynd Aston Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Chetwynd Aston. A township in the parish of Chetwynd, and in the Newport division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 50 houses, 291 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Chetwynd Park Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Chetwynd Park. 1 ¼ mile north north-west of Newport. The residence of J. Borough, esq. see appendix.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Howle Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Howle. A township in the parish of Chetwynd, and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 4 miles north-west of Newport.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Pilson Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Pilson. A township in the parish of Chetwynd, and in the hundred of Bradford, North.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Directories

Chetwynd Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Chetwynd is a village and parish, 2 miles from Newport station, and 17 from Shrewsbury, in the Northern division of the county, Newport division of South Bradford hundred, Newport union, and diocese of Lichfield; it is situated on the turnpike road leading from Newport to Chester. The church of St. Michael has been rebuilt, and is of Gothic architecture. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £692, including 28 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of J. C. B. Borough, Esq., J.P. Some malting is carried on here. Chetwynd Park is the residence of John Charles Burton Borough, Esq., J.P.; the mansion is a handsome and spacious building; the parked is well stocked with deer, and has a mere about 30 acres in extent. John Charles Burton Borough, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The charities are about £65 yearly. The soil is of a light and good nature; subsoil, sandstone and clay. The population in 1861 was 719: the area is 3, 803 acres; gross estimated rental, £7,871; rateable value, £7,158.
Letters through Newport.

Chetwynd.

Aston Mr. George, Chetwynd grove
Borough John Charles Burton, esq. J.P. Chetwynd park
Brittain Mr. Richard, Summer hill
Griffiths Mr. Edward, Chetwynd lodge
Ryland Thomas, esq. Pilson
Thomas William, esq. Chetwynd villa
Allman George, blacksmith, Pilson
Bradley John, farm bailiff, Pool lodge
Gosling Thomas, maltster, Mason’s pl
Ingram George, resident land agent to John Charles Burton Borough, esq. Chetwynd park
Mills Arthur, head gardener to John Chas. B. Borough, esq. Chetwynd pk
Podmore Mrs. Farmer, Chetwynd grange
Rudge Thomas, farmer
Startin Thos. Bladen, farmer, lane end
Talbot John, farmer, Blue house
Turner William, deerkeeper to J. C. B. Borough, esq. Chetwynd park
Webb Joseph, farmer, New house

Chetwynd End.
Collier Thomas, esq. Beech hill
Godby Mrs. Chetwynd cottage
Parker Miss, Chetwynd house
Smallwood Brooke Hector, esq.
Ash Jas. Miller
Cobb John F. builder and surveyor
Couther Richard, English master of the Newport Grammar school
Derington Martha, farmer and maltster
Gosling Thomas, maltster
Griffiths Edward, miller
Leake William, tailor
Lees John, master of Royal Free English school, Newport
Morris Thomas, seedsman
Morris William, tailor
Pritchard Mary Ann, ladies’ boarding school
Turner George, King’s Head
Walker Joseph, grocer
Walters Robert George, M.R.C.V.S., veterinary surgeon
Wiseman Thomas, grocer, &c.

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Newport
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Newport
  • Poor Law Union: Newport
  • Hundred: South Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury