Chetton, Shropshire Family History Guide

Chetton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

The parish comprises the townships of Chetton, Ewdon Burnell, Ewdon George, Faintree and Criddon, with the chapelry of Loughton.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1538

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Chetton

  • Neenton
  • Ditton Priors
  • Stottesdon
  • Glazeley and Deuxhill
  • Upton Cressett
  • Oldbury
  • Chelmarsh
  • Middleton Scriven
  • Morville
  • Quatford

Historical Descriptions

Chetton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Chetton, a parish in Bridgnorth and Cleobury-Mortimer districts, and a sub-district in Bridgnorth district. Salop. The parish lies on an affluent of the Severn, 4 miles SW of Bridgnorth r. station; and is chiefly in Bridgnorth district, but includes Loughton chapelry in Cleobury-Mortimer district. Post-town, Bridgnorth. Acres, 4,936. Real property, £6,992. Pop., 590. Houses, 120. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to Godiva. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Loughton, and with the rectories of Deuxhill and Glazeley, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £772. Patron, T. W. W. Browne, Esq. The church is partly Norman. Charities, £14. The sub-district contains sixteen parishes, the main part of Chetton parish, and part of another. Acres, 38,589. Pop., 4,725. Houses, 952.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Chetton. A parish in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden, a rectory remaining in charge, and consolidated with Deuxhill, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 4 ½ miles south-west of Bridgnorth. 108 houses, 573 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Ewden Burnell

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ewden Burnell. A township in the parish of Chetton, and in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Eudon George

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eudon George. A township in the parish of Chetton, and in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden. 3 1/2 miles south-west by south of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Chetton, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Bridgnorth Polling District

Chetton, Parish of

507 Adams James

508 Adams Richard

509 Baker John

510 Beaman Joseph

511 Bridges John Afflect

512 Clay George Minton

513 Clutton George

514 Davies James

515 English Henry Robert

516 Gordon Alexander

517 Gwilliam Benjamin

518 Harris George

519 Hall Thomas

520 Haynes Job

521 Jones John

522 Lloyd John

523 Masters John Smallman, see 756

524 Mayes Thomas

525 Palmer George

526 Porter Thomas

527 Purton Thomas Pardoe

528 Purton John Smyth

529 Reynolds Richard

530 Rudd John

531 Stobbs John

532 Turner William, see 3797

533 Wall Thomas

Directories

Chetton Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Chetton is a parish, with the chapelry of Loughton, 3 ½ miles south-west-by-west from Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh Division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford.  The church of St. Giles is an old stone structure, in the Early English style, and was repewed about 1850.  The living is a rectory, united with Glazeley, Deuxhill, and the chapelry of Loughton, yearly value £569, with residence and 12 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Thomas Whitmore Wylde Browne, Esq.  There is a school for girls and boys, with a small endowment of about £10 10s. yearly.  There are charities of £21 yearly value, for the distribution of bread, support of the school, &c.  John Pritchard, Esq., Thomas Pardoe Purton, Esq., J.P., and James Stoddart, Esq., are chief landowners.  The soil is clayey; the subsoil similar.  The population of the parish in 1861 was 490, exclusive of Loughton; the area is 3,921a. 1r. 12p.; the gross estimated rental (except Loughton) is £4,523; rateable value, £4,119.  The parish comprises the townships of Chetton, Ewdon Burnell, Ewdon George, Faintree and Criddon, with the chapelry of Loughton.
Letters are received through Bridgnorth.

Loughton is a chapelry and village, in the parish of Chetton, 9 miles from Ludlow, and 6 from Cleobury Mortimer, in the Southern division of the county, Cleobury division, hundred of Stottesden, Cleobury Mortimer union and county court district.  The chapel is a small stone fabric, built in the year 1622.  The living is a chapelry united with Chetton.  There is a school for girls and boys.  The Duke of Cleveland is the principal landowner.  The soil is stiff; subsoil, clay and dhu stone.  The population in 1861 was 100; the area is 1,015 acres; gross estimated rental, £744; rateable value, £673.
Letters received through Bridgnorth.

Chetton.

Backhouse Richd. Onians, esq. Down ho
Purton Rev. John Smyth, B.D. Rectory
Stoddart James, esq. Walls batch
Adams James, shopkeeper
Beaman Joseph, farmer, Mayes farm
Cultton George, beer retlr. Down cot
Corfield Thomas, farmer, Tedstill
Davis William, shoe maker, Wood
Duppa Brian and Norman, farmers, Tedstill
Gordon Alexander, farmer, The Hills
Gwilliam Edward, farmer, Lower house
Gwilliam Joseph, farmer, Little Scotl’d
Gwilliam William, beer retailer
Hall Edward, farmer, The Drayles
Holland John, farmer, Upper Cockshutts
Huffer William, farmer, Defford
Jones John, shoe maker, Oldfield
Jones Mrs. farmer, Upper house
Perry Richard, mason, Defford
Porter Wm. wheelwright, The Down
Powell William, farmer, Down
Rabey James, miller, Down mill
Reynolds Thomas, wheelwright
Rudd Timothy, cowkeeper, Oldfield
Skelding Thomas, farmer, Hollycott
Stoddart James, farmer and landowner, Walls batch
Wall Thomas, farmer, Archley
Yardley Daniel, blacksmith, The Down
Yardley William, farmer, The Stocking

Ewdon Burnell.
Bennett David, land steward to John Pritchard, esq.

Ewdon George.
Broome George, shoe maker
Davies James, farmer
Gwilliam Benjamin, farmer and jobber
Gwilliam John, miller
Pool William, farmer

Upper and Lower Faintree.
Purton Thomas Pardoe, esq. J.P. Faintree hall
Burrow George, farmer
Evison William, farmer
Hall Thomas, farmer

Criddon.
Stubbs John, farmer

Loughton.
Blakemore Jesse, farmer
Duce Edward, farmer
Duce William, farmer
Evans John, shoe maker
Hall John, farmer
Hodnett James, farmer
Lane Thomas, shopkeeper
Lawley Francis, butcher
Massey William, farmer
Noakes Mary, shopkeeper
Wetherell Nathan, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Stottesdon
  • Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
  • Hundred: Stottesdon
  • Province: Canterbury