Chelmarsh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places included in the parish: Hempton and Sutton.
Parish registers begin: 1557
Parishes adjacent to Chelmarsh
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
CHELMARSH, a parish and a division in Salop. The parish is in Bridgnorth district; lies on the river Severn, 2 miles NW of Hampton r. station, and 3 ½ S by E of Bridgnorth; and has a post-office under Bridgnorth. Acres, 3,259. Real property, £6,043. Pop., 564. Houses, 112. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £250. Patron, Sir T. G. S. Sebright, Bart. The church is ancient but very good; and has a tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]
Chelmarsh or Chilmarsh Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Chelmarsh or Chilmarsh. A parish in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Stottesden, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 72 houses, 458 inhabitants. 3 ½ miles south-east of Bridgnorth.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Chelmarsh Parish Registers 1557-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. III (1903)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Chelmarsh Baptisms and Burials
Chelmarsh, Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Bridgnorth Polling District
Chelmarsh, Parish of
478 Blathwayte Charles Wellit
479 Bourne Robert
480 Detton William
481 Detton George
482 Dudley George
483 Drapier John
484 Elcock George
485 Fereday Thomas, see 431
486 Gittins Richard, see 696
487 Harries Thomas
488 Hughes Edward
489 Jones William
490 Jordan John, see 573
491 Jordan Thomas
492 King Thomas
493 Lloyd Samuel
494 Lloyd Edward
495 Mapp William
496 Morris Thomas
497 Nicholls John
498 Page John
499 Page John
500 Parrish James
501 Scoflhum Henry Francis
502 Sibley Charles
503 Stiffs Philimore William, see 861
504 Stowyer Thomas
505 Wall John
506 Wall Francis
Chelmarsh Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Chelmarsh is a parish and village, with the hamlets of Hempton and Sutton, 4 miles south-south-east from Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford; it is situated on the west side of the river Severn. The church of St. Peter is an old building. The living is a vicarage, now returned at £236 yearly, with residence and 24 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir J. G. S. Sebright, Bart. The rectorial tithes are commuted for £369 3s of which £358 are paid to Sir J. G. S. Sebright, Bat., and £11 3s., to Mr. Edward Hughes. There is a National school, built in the year 1850. William Nichols, Esq., who is lord of the manor, Mrs. Gwyn, A. Weir, Esq., and Mr. Edward Hughes, are chief landowners. The soil is a strong loam; the subsoil in some parts is sandstone. The population in 1861 was 564, and the area is 3,126 acres; gross estimated rental, £4,276; rateable value, 33,978.
Hempton is a hamlet, about two miles from Chelmarsh church.
Sutton is a hamlet, about 1 mile from Chelmarsh.
Post Office. – George Dudley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Bridgnorth at 7-30 a.m.; dispatched at 5-5 p.m.
Blathwayt Rev. Charles Welfitt, M.A.
Buchanan Mrs. Chelmarsh hall
Gwyn Mrs. Astbury hall
Leicester Rev. John Augustus, M.A.
Blakeway Edward, farmer
Bowen Thomas, bricklayer
Breakwell Edmund, farmer, Woodlands
Dodd Richard, farmer, New house
Draper John, shopkeeper
Dutton Fredk. beer retailer, Commons
Elcock George, carpenter
Elcock Wm. farmer, Hodge Nichols
Fox John, farmer
Gittins Richard, farmer
Lloyd Edward, shopkeeper
Page John, blacksmith
Parrish Richard, farmer, Uplands
Reeve Thomas, farmer, Spadeley
Rudd Richard, farmer
Scoffham Henry Francis, beer retailer
Warder Richard Evans, farmer, Chelmarsh Hall farm
Detton William, tailor
Hughes Edward, farmer and landowner
Lee Edward, farmer
Pope Edward, farmer
Porter Thos. ferryman, Hempton’s load
Sibley Chas. Unicorn Inn, Hempton’s load
Stonyer John, miller
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Stottesdon
- Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury