Cardington Shropshire Family History Guide

Cardington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: the townships of Broome, Chatwall, Comley and Botevyle, Enchmarsh, Holt Preen, Leighton, Lydley Heys, Plaish and Willstone,

Parish church: St. James

Parish registers begin: 1598

Parishes adjacent to Cardington

Historical Descriptions

Cardington

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CARDINGTON, a village and a parish in Church Stretton district, Salop. The village stands on a pleasant spot, under Cardington hill, 2½ miles E of the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, and 4 ENE of Church-Stretton; and has a post office under Church-Stretton. The parish includes also the townships of Broom, Chatwall, Comley, Enchmarsh, Holt-Preen, Lydley-Hayes, Plaish, Willstone, and part of Gretton. Acres, 6,713. Real property, £4,723. Pop., 768. Houses, 141. The property is much subdivided. Fine clay and quartz for the potteries are found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £287. Patron, R. Hunt, Esq. The church is good. A school has £25 from endowment; and other charities, £53.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Cardington. A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow, a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 124 houses, 687 inhabitants, 11 ½ miles south of Shrewsbury. Cardington produces a quartz, and clay, the former of which is said to be superior to that imported from Caernarvonshire, for the use of the Staffordshire potteries.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Comley and Botevyle

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Comley and Botevyle. A township in the parishes of Church Stretton and Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 2 miles north-east of Church Stretton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Enchmarsh and Chatwall

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870

Chatwall, a township in Cardington parish, Salop; 3 ¼ miles NE of Church-Stretton. Pop., 30.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Chatwell or Chatwall. A township in the parish of Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 4 miles north-east of Church Stretton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Enchmarsh and Chatwall. A township in the parish of Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. Enchmarsh is 3 ½ miles north-east, and Chatwall, 4 ½ miles north-east of Church Stretton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Holt Preen

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Holt Preen. A township in the parish of Cardington, and in the hundred of Condover.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Leighton

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Leighton. A township in the parish of Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Lydley Heys

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Lydleyshays. A township in the parish of Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 4 miles north-east of Church Stretton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Plaish

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870

Plaish, a township in Cardington parish Salop; 3 miles E of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Plaish. A township in the parish of Cardington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 6 miles north-east of Church Stretton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Poll Book

Cardington, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Church Stretton Polling District

Cardington, Parish of

962 Bennett Richard

963 Bennett Joseph

964 Bennett Samuel

965 Brazier John, dead

966 Butcher Richard, see 1219

967 Burgess Richard

968 Corfield Thomas

969 Davies William

970 Eaton Samuel

971 Eaton Isaac

972 Eaton John

973 Edwards Samuel

974 Evans Samuel

975 Evans William

976 Evans Thomas

977 Evason Thomas

978 Everall Richard

979 Galliers William

980 George Thomas

981 George Francis

982 Gwilliam Edward

983 Haynes William

984 Haynes Edward

985 Hayward Philip

986 Hayward Thomas

987 Hotchkiss Edward

988 Hughes William Jones, Rev.

989 Higgins William

990 Lewis George

991 Lindop Edwin

992 Lindop Isaiah

993 Medley Edward

994 Milner Edward Corbet

995 Mitton John Lowe

996 Mott Charles, dead

997 Norris William

998 Preen James

999 Preen William

1000 Price Thomas

1001 Rhoden Charles

1002 Sankey Daniel

1003 Salt Benjamin

1004 Sprag Benjamin

1005 Smout Francis

1006 Taylor William Marshall

1007 Taylor Henry

1008 Taylor John

1009 Taylor Richard Smith

1010 Wallater William

1011 Wall Richard

1012 Wall William

1013 Walker Andrew

1014 Williams John

1015 Woodcock Thomas

Directories

Cardington Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Cardington is a parish, comprising the townships of Broome, Chatwall, Comley, Enchmarsh, Holt Preen, Lydley Heys, Plaish, and Willstone, 3 ½ miles from Church Stretton station, 12 from Shrewsbury, and 173 from London, in the Southern division of the county, upper division of the hundred of Munslow, union of Church Stretton, and diocese of Hereford.  The country road is highly picturesque, abounding in extensive views of the Caradoc, Lawley and Hope Bowdler Hills.  The church of St. James is an old Gothic building, with embattled tower.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £294, with residence, in the gift of Rowland Hunt, Esq.  Here is a Free school, endowed by William Hall in 1720, for boys and girls of the parish, without other charge than one shilling for entrance and one shilling annually for fuel.  Besides this establishment the other charities amount to £44.  At Plaish is a remarkably fine old hall, or mansion, in the Tudor style, the greater part of which is now in a dilapidated state; nearly all the rooms at one period have been oak-pannelled, picked out with stars of gold, which are still visible, and bear evident traces of having once been very handsome; a room, supposed to have been originally the dining room, a very spacious apartment (at present used as a kitchen), contains some remarkable specimens of oak carving; on the ceiling of one of the principal rooms is a cornice in four compartments, with the letters I E S V in the centre.  Edward Corbett, Esq., who is lord of the manor, Rowland Hunt, Esq., and the Earl of Bradford are the principal landowners.  The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, clay.  The area of the parish is 6,161 acres; and the population in 1861 was 708; gross estimated rental, £5,834; rateable value, £5,498.

Parish Clerk, Joseph Price.

Letters through Church Stretton.

Cardington.

Durnell Mr. John Renum
Elliott Rev. William, M.A.
Evans Mr. Thomas
Lindop Mr. Isaiah
Salt Mr. Benjamin
Whitefoot Mrs
Aincham Wm. carpenter & wheelwright
Brazier John New Inn and maltster
Corfield Thomas, farmer
Evans Samuel, carpenter
Evans Thomas, carpenter & shopkeeper
Haynes John, shopkeeper
Hotchkiss Edward, farmer
Hotchkiss John, shopkeeper
Mitton Daniel Lowe, butcher and farmer
Perks Joseph, farmer
Preen James, stone mason
Preen William, stone mason and farmer
Price Joseph, tailor and registrar of births and deaths
Price Thomas, wheelwright
Smout Francis, farmer

Chatwall.
Brazier William, farmer
Burgess Richard, farmer, Lower Chatwall
Jones John, farmer
Wall William, farmer

Comley.
Evans Charles, farmer
Evans Edward, wheelwright
Marsh George, farmer

Enchmarsh.
Chester Robert, farmer
Evans Richard, farmer
Haynes William, blacksmith
Norris Kitty (Mrs.), farmer and maltster
Wall William, farmer
Walley Maria (Mrs.), farmer

Holt Preen.
Corfield John, farmer
Eaton Hannah, farmer
Jones Lewis, farmer
Lewis George, farmer
Wallater Thomas, farmer

Lydley Heys.
Milner Edward, farmer
Russell John, farmer

Plaish.
Bennett Samuel, farmer
Eaton Isaac, farmer
Wall Ann, farmer

Willstone.
Gwilliam Edward, farmer
Lindop Edwin, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Church Stretton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Church Stretton
  • Hundred: Munslow
  • Province: Canterbury