Cardeston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Alternative names: Cardiston
Other places in the parish include: Wattlesborough.
Parish registers begin: 1706
Parishes adjacent to Cardeston
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CARDESTON, or Cardiston, a parish in Atcham district, Salop; near the river Severn, 5 miles S by W of Baschurch r. station, and 6½ W of Shrewsbury. It includes part of Wattlesborough township; and its Post Town is Alberbury, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 2,400. Real property, £3,478. Pop., 294. Houses, 65. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £274. Patron, Sir B. Leighton, Bart. The church is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Cardeston Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Cardeston. A parish in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Pontesbury, and archdeaconry of Salop. 65 houses, 297 inhabitants. 6 miles west of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Cardeston Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Cardeston is a parish, 6 miles west from Shrewsbury, and 12 from Welshpool, in the Southern division of the county, Ford division of Ford hundred, Atcham union, and diocese of Hereford, situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Welshpool. The church of St. Michael is a small stone building, re-erected in 1749. The living is a rectory; composition for tithes, £293 (of which £272 go to the rector, and the remainder to Sir Baldwin Leighton, bart.) yearly, with residence, and about 30 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart. At Wattlesborough is an old moated mansion, now a farm house, in the occupation of Mr. Thomas Bebb, erected by one of the Corbet family, from whom it descended by marriage to the Leightons, who continued to reside there till the commencement of the last century. Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The charities are only 10s. yearly. The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay and rock. The area is 2,400a. 3r. 1p. and the population in 1861 was 294; gross estimated rental, £3,100; rateable value, £2,913.
Wattlesborough township is partly in this parish.
Letters through Shrewsbury, arrive by messenger at 5 a.m.; dispatched at 7-30 p.m.
Chichester Rev. J. C. B.L. Rectory
Beddoes Job, tailor and draper, Wattlesborough
Bebb Thomas, farmer, Wattlesborough Castle
Bowdler Charles J. farmer
Bowdler Thomas, farmer, Windmill
Edwards John, farmer, Cardeston park
Eddowes John, tailor, Wattlesborough
Gittins Richard, farmer, Wattlesborough
Jones Whitworth, farmer, Stamford
Lee John, farmer
Llewellyn William, farmer, Ivy end
Perry Thomas, carpenter, Wattlesboro’
Phillips Edw. stone mason, Wattlesboro’
Phillips Geo. carpenter, Wattlesborough
Pugh John, farmer, Bretchel
Rogers Samuel, shopkeeper, Wattlesborough
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
Cardeston Parish Registers 1663-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. V (1909)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Atcham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
- Poor Law Union: Atcham
- Hundred: Ford
- Province: Canterbury