Calverhall, Shropshire Family History Guide

Calverhall is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1726 from chapelry in Prees Ancient Parish.

Alternatice names: Corra, Cloverly, Corveral, Corverhall or Cloverley

Other places in the parish include: Woolliston, Millen-heath.

Parish church: Holy Trinity

Parish registers begin: 1771

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Calverhall

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CALVERHALL, or Corra, a chapelry in Prees parish, Salop; 3¾ miles ENE of Prees r. station, and 4¾ SE of Whitchurch. Post Town, Prees, under Shrewsbury. Rated property, £2,518. Pop., 279. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. The chapelry was constituted in 1858. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £83. Patron, John W. Dod, Esq. The church is recent and Gothic.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Calverhall; or Corverhall or Cloverley. A township in the parish of Prees, and in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford, North. A chapel to Prees. Calverhall, with Willaston, and Millen-heath, contains 51 houses, 293 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Cloverly or Calverhall or Corveral Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Cloverly; or Calverhall; or Corveral. The seat of J. W. Dodd, esq. In the Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 5 miles south-east of Whitchurch.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Directories

Calverhall Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Calverhall is an ecclesiastical district in the parish of Prees, comprising the townships of Calverhall and Woolliston, 186 miles from London, 4 from Prees station, 15 from Whitmore station, and 5 from Whitchurch, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of North Bradford, Wem union, and diocese of Lichfield.  The church of the Holy Trinity is a Gothic building of stone.  The living is a vicarage, of the yearly value of £82, with residence, in the gift of John Pemberton Heywood, Esq.  Here is a school for the free education of the children of the tenantry of John Pemberton, Esq.  There are also eight almshouses for the poor of the place, erected and endowed by William and Katherine Kerr, in 1724, with about £32 per annum, to which a further endowment was added by the widow of the late John Dod, Esq., of Cloverley.  Cloverley Hall, one of the seats of J. P. Heywood, Esq., is a magnificent Elizabethan mansion erected in 1868.  The park and pleasure grounds are extensive and neatly laid out.  John Pemberton Heywood, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner, and has a beautiful seat here, called Cloverley.  The population of the ecclesiastical district in 1861 was 279.

Calverhall township contains 715 acres.  Viscount Hill is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

Woolliston, a township, distant between 1 ½ and 2 ½ miles from Prees, contains 765 acres.

Letters through Whitchurch, arrive at 8-30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.

Calverhall.
Heywood John Pemberton, esq. Cloverley
Smythies Rev. Henry Raymond, M.A. Vicarage
Betteley John, farmer
Boot George, farmer, The Common
Boot James, farmer
Fox Joseph, Old Jack Inn
Furber John, blacksmith
Growcott Joseph, farmer
Hassall Sarah, farmer
Jones John, gardener, Cloverley
Owen Thomas, gamekeeper, Cloverley
Ralphs John, shoe maker
Reeves Josiah, farmer and butcher
Whittingham Joseph, carpenter
Woolrich John, farmer

Woolliston.
Ray Thomas, farm bailiff
Simons John, farmer
Simons Mary, farmer
Venables John, farmer
Wilkinson Robert, farmer, The Lawn

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Wem
  • Probate Court: Court of the Prebend of Prees or Pipe Minor
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Market Drayton
  • Poor Law Union: Wem
  • Hundred: North Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury