Burwarton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish registers begin: 1575
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Burwarton
Burwarton Shropshire The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Burwarton, a parish in the hund. of Stottesden, union of Bridgnorth, county of Salop; 10½ miles north-east of Ludlow; a streamlet of the river Rea passes through it. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £4 6s. 8d., and in the parliamentary returns at £118; gross income £129. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. J. Churton. Pop., in 1801, 107; in 1831, 112. Houses 22. Acres 1,170. A. P. £626. Poor rates, in 1837, £50.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Burwarton Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Burwarton. A parish in the Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 22 houses, 123 inhabitants. 9 miles south-west of Bridgnorth.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
Burwarton Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Burwarton is a village and parish, in the Southern division of the county, Cleobury division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford, ten miles from Ludlow, nine from Bridgnorth, and eight and a half north-west from Cleobury Mortimer. The Church of St. Lawrence is a small building in the Norman style. The living is a rectory, yearly value £101 12s., with 19 acres of glebe land and residence, in the gift of Viscount Boyne. A school house for boys and girls was erected in 1864, at the expense of Viscount Boyne. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel. This place was a Roman fortified town or village. Burwarton Hall, the seat of Viscount Boyne, lord of the manor, and owner of most of the land, is an elegant mansion in the Italian style, pleasantly situated at the foot of Brown Clee Hill; the park grounds extend to a considerable altitude on the sloping sides of this hill. The soil is clay; subsoil, quartz, gravel, and rock, and most probably iron and coal. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 1,236 acres, and the population in 1861 was 156: gross estimated rental, £1,170; rateable value, £1,104.
Letters arrive through Bridgnorth.
Boyne Viscount, J. P. Burwarton hall; and 22 Belgrave-square, London, S.W.
Tillerty Nicholas Benjamin, esq., Burwarton hall
Waring Ven. Archdeacon William, M.A.
Bradley John, farmer
Burton James, farmer
Coulton Israel, cowkeeper
Crowe Richard, farmer
Evans John, cowkeeper
Lamb John, farmer
Lane Thomas, cowkeeper
Lloyd Thomas, cowkeeper
Lugg William, Boyne Arms, and farmer
Preece George, carpenter
Whiteman John, farmer
Yapp Sarah, cowkeeper
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
Burwarton, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Ludlow Polling District
Burwarton, Parish of
2302 Bradley John
2303 Boyne Lord Viscount
2304 Lane William
2305 Whiteman John
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Stottesdon
- Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury