Burford (with Boraston, Whatmore, Nash, Tilsop, Weston, Whitton and Stoke) Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871


Last updated on December 18th, 2017

Burford is a parish, comprising the townships of Burford, Boraston, Whatmore, Nash, Tilsop, Weston, Whitton, and Stoke, five miles from Wooferton station, and eight from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Overs hundred, Tenbury union, and diocese of Hereford.  The church of St. Mary is an old building.  It contains many monuments of the Cornewall family, and the tomb of Elizabeth of Lancaster, a daughter of John of Gaunt.  The living is in three portions: the income of the first portion is about £500 per annum, the second about £270, and the third about £470; residences are attached to each of the three portions, which are all in the gift of Lord Northwick.  There are two schools, one at Burford, and the other at Nash.  There are almshouses for eight widows.  Burford takes its name from having been a fortified Roman settlement.  Lord Northwick, who is lord of the manor, Colonel Hill, R. Mills, Esq., George Pardoe, Esq., P. P. Williams, Esq., and T. H. H. Edwardes, Esq., are the chief landowners.  The soil is chiefly clay; the subsoil is marl.  There are charities, yearly value about £50.  The population of the parish in 1861 was 1,121, and of Burford township 314; the area is 5,999 acres.

Boraston is a township, with a population of 176, and a chapel of ease.  Greet is a township, with a population of 26.  Nash is a township, with a population of 269, containing a chapel of ease and a school.  Stoke, a township, with a population of 47.  Tilsop, a township, with 104.  Weston, a township, with 44.  Whitton, a township, with 82 inhabitants, and a chapel of ease.  Whatmore township is one mile and a half north-east from Burford.  The population is 61.  Gross estimated rental: Boraston, £2,201; Burford, £4,009; Greet, £1,382; Nash, £3,285; Whitton, £979; rateable value, £2,004; £3,627; £1,261; £3,008; £895 respectively.

Letters are received through Tenbury.

BURFORD.

Davis William, esq., Dean park

Joyce Rev. James Wayland, J.P., Rectory

Northwich [sic] Lord, Burford house

Berrington John, farmer

Charles Thomas, bricklayer

Davis James, farmer

Davis William, farmer, Dean park

Edwards Edmund, farmer, and at Little Hereford

Jones William, Rose and Crown Inn, and farmer

Lloyd Ann and George, tailors

Lloyd William, carpenter and farmer

Morris John, farmer, The Lodge

Morris John, farmer, Burford farm

Morris Thomas, farmer, Pendeall

Rawlings Mary, farmer

Rose Jame [sic], farmer, Harp fields

Smallman Henry, farmer

Smith Edmund, shoe maker

Smith Edward, blacksmith

Walker Charles Plumer, Swan hotel, and farmer

Wall Thomas, farmer and miller, Rock hill

Wheeler James, miller and farmer

Williams James, farmer

BORASTON.

McLaughlin Rev. Hubert, M.A., Rectory

Bowen Samuel, farmer

Downes Thomas, blacksmith

Howells William, mason

Jones John, Peacock inn

Lucas Benjamin, brick and tile maker and farmer

Millichamp John, farmer

Morris Edward, farmer

Morris Thomas, miller, Boraston mill

Mytton Edward, farmer

Mytton William, farmer

Powell William, carpenter and farmer

Radner William, farmer

Reynolds Thomas, farmer

Simmonds Francis, carpenter

Smallman William, farmer

Smith Mrs., farmer

Stewart Charles, farmer

NASH.

Hill Col. Arthur Charles, Court of Hill

Pardoe George, Esq., J.P., Nash court

Beeman John, farmer

Bradley George, farmer

Brown William, wheelwright

Corfield Edwin, farmer

Downes Benjamin, blacksmith

Hammond Thomas, farmer

Hardwick Vincent, farmer

Holt Letitia, farmer,

Lowe Frances, farmer

Morris Edward, stone mason and builder

Morris George, farmer

Pound Philip, farmer

Radner William, farmer

Robinson George, farmer

Robinson Robert, farmer

Wilding Henry, lime burner

STOKE.

Williams Philip Penry, esq., J.P., Stoke house

Rawlings John, farmer

TILSOP.

Bailey Samuel, farmer

Hammond Thomas, Golden Lion Inn

Peade William, farmer

Starrey John, farmer

Tantram Thomas, farmer

WHATMORE.

Brown Thomas, farmer

Davis Edmund, miller, Whatmore mill

Meakin Richard, farmer

Mytton James, farmer

WHITTON.

Morris Mr. Thomas

Whitefoord Rev. Caleb, M.A., Rectory

Amies Richard, wheelwright

Bill Sarah, farmer

Lawley Joseph, blacksmith

Mills M., farmer

Thomas John, farmer, Whitton house

Town Benjamin, shopkeeper

Wall Thomas, farmer

Whittall Thomas, carpenter and builder

Williams Samuel, wheelwright, &c.

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871