- Parishes adjacent to Burford
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Registers
- Poll Books
Other places in the parish include: Boraston, Greet, Nash, Stoke, Tilsop, Weston, Whatmore, and Whitton.
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1558
Parishes adjacent to Burford
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Burford, a township and parish in the hund, of Overs, union of Tenbury, county of Salop; 1 mile west of Tenbury, on the river Teme; comprising the townships of Buraston with Whetmore, Nash, Tilsop and Weston, and Whitton. Living, a rectory in three portions, in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated — the first portion — at £9 13s. 4d.; gross income £392; the second, to which the curacy of Whitton is annexed, at £8; gross income £300; and the third, with the curacies of Buraston and Nash annexed, at £8 13s. 4d.; gross income £350. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. G. Rushout Bowles. “In this parish-church were three prebendaries, or portionists, in the beginning of the reign of King Edward I., and, in 13° Elizabeth, the college, or collegiate church here, was granted, with all that belonged to it, to William Jeames and John Grey.” — Tanner’s Not. Mon. This parish possesses an infant, and a day and Sunday school. Charities connected with it produce £10 per annum. Pop., in 1801, 819; in 1831, 1,086. Houses 212. Acres 8,370, of which 212 were in hops in 1837. A. P. £7,526. Poor rates, in 1837, £405. Pop. of the township, in 1801, 215; in 1821, 365. A. P. £2,663. Poor rates, in 1837, £173.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Burford (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Tenbury, hundred of Overs, S. division of Salop, 1½ mile (W. by S.) from Tenbury; containing, with the townships of Burford, Buraston, Greet, Nash, Stoke, Tilsop, Weston, Whatmore, and Whitton, 1031 inhabitants, of whom 297 are in the township of Burford. Licence for a weekly market and an annual fair was granted by Henry III. The Kington canal crosses the parish, on the northern side of the village. The living is a rectory, divided into three portions: the first is valued in the king’s books at £9. 13. 4., and has a net income of £377; the second, to which the chapel of Whitton is annexed, is valued at £8, and has an income of £286; and the third, to which the chapels of Buraston and Nash are annexed, is valued at £8. 13. 4., with an income of £335: they are all in the patronage of the Hon. and Rev. G. R. Bowles. A school is supported by subscription, and a small infants’ school by the rector.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Burford, co. Salop.
P. T. Tenbury (130) 2 m. W. Pop. of Pa. 1036; of To. 365.
A parish and township in the hundred of Overs; living, a rectory, in three portions, in the archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Hereford; respectively charged in K. B. 9l. 13s. 4d., 8l., and 8l. 13s. 4d.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron (1829) G. Bowles, Esq.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Burford. A parish in the hundred of Overs, a rectory divided into three parts, or portions, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Burford, and archdeaconry of Salop. 201 houses, 1036 inhabitants. 6 miles south-west of Ludlow. Burford house is the residence of the Hon. and Rev. G. Rushout.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
Burford Parish Registers 1558-1812
Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XVI (1915)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; W. G. D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Tenbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Burford
- Poor Law Union: Tenbury
- Hundred: Overs
- Province: Canterbury