Burford Shropshire Family History Guide

Burford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire. Boraston, Nash, and Whitton are chapelries of Burford.

Other places in the parish include: Boraston, Nash, Stoke, Tilsop, Weston, Whatmore, and Whitton.

Parish church: St Mary

Parish registers begin: 1558

Nonconformists include:

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Burford

Historical Descriptions

Burford

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BURFORD, a township and a parish in the district of Tenbury and county of Salop. The township lies on the river Teme and the Knighton canal, adjacent to the Tenbury railway, 1 mile W of Tenbury; and had formerly a market. Pop., 387. Houses, 88. The parish contains also the townships of Boraston, Greet, Nash, Stoke, Tilsop, Weston, Whatmore, and Whitton. Post Town, Tenbury. Acres, 6,672. Real property, £10,380. Pop., 1,121. Houses, 240. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory, of three portions, in the diocese of Hereford; the first portion united with the p. curacies of Boraston and Nash, the second portion united with the p. curacy of Whitton, and all three in the patronage of Lord Northwick. Value of the first, £460; of the second, £286; of the third, £335. The mother church was anciently collegiate; and has a brass of the 14th century. There are churches also in Boraston and Nash. Charities, £10.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Burford, a township and parish in the hund, of Overs, union of Tenbury, county of Salop; 1 mile west of Tenbury, on the river Teme; comprising the townships of Buraston with Whetmore, Nash, Tilsop and Weston, and Whitton. Living, a rectory in three portions, in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated — the first portion — at £9 13s. 4d.; gross income £392; the second, to which the curacy of Whitton is annexed, at £8; gross income £300; and the third, with the curacies of Buraston and Nash annexed, at £8 13s. 4d.; gross income £350. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. G. Rushout Bowles. “In this parish-church were three prebendaries, or portionists, in the beginning of the reign of King Edward I., and, in 13° Elizabeth, the college, or collegiate church here, was granted, with all that belonged to it, to William Jeames and John Grey.” — Tanner's Not. Mon. This parish possesses an infant, and a day and Sunday school. Charities connected with it produce £10 per annum. Pop., in 1801, 819; in 1831, 1,086. Houses 212. Acres 8,370, of which 212 were in hops in 1837. A. P. £7,526. Poor rates, in 1837, £405. Pop. of the township, in 1801, 215; in 1821, 365. A. P. £2,663. Poor rates, in 1837, £173.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Burford (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Tenbury, hundred of Overs, S. division of Salop, 1½ mile (W. by S.) from Tenbury; containing, with the townships of Burford, Buraston, Greet, Nash, Stoke, Tilsop, Weston, Whatmore, and Whitton, 1031 inhabitants, of whom 297 are in the township of Burford. Licence for a weekly market and an annual fair was granted by Henry III. The Kington canal crosses the parish, on the northern side of the village. The living is a rectory, divided into three portions: the first is valued in the king's books at £9. 13. 4., and has a net income of £377; the second, to which the chapel of Whitton is annexed, is valued at £8, and has an income of £286; and the third, to which the chapels of Buraston and Nash are annexed, is valued at £8. 13. 4., with an income of £335: they are all in the patronage of the Hon. and Rev. G. R. Bowles. A school is supported by subscription, and a small infants' school by the rector.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND 1833

Burford, co. Salop.
P. T. Tenbury (130) 2 m. W. Pop. of Pa. 1036; of To. 365.
A parish and township in the hundred of Overs; living, a rectory, in three portions, in the archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Hereford; respectively charged in K. B. 9l. 13s. 4d., 8l., and 8l. 13s. 4d.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron (1829) G. Bowles, Esq.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Burford. A parish in the hundred of Overs, a rectory divided into three parts, or portions, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Burford, and archdeaconry of Salop. 201 houses, 1036 inhabitants. 6 miles south-west of Ludlow. Burford house is the residence of the Hon. and Rev. G. Rushout.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Boraston with Whatmore

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Buraston-with-Whetmore, a township in the parish of Burford, hund. of Overs, county of Salop; 2 miles north-east of Tenbury, in the vicinity of the Leominster canal. A chapel-of-ease has been erected here. Pop., in 1801, 291; in 1821, 226. Houses and acres with the parish. A. P. £1,587. Poor rates, in 1837, £98.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Buraston, with Whetmore, a chapelry, in the parish of Burford, union of Tenbury, hundred of Overs, S. division of Salop, 1 3/4 mile (N. E.) from Tenbury; containing 223 inhabitants. The Kington canal passes on the southern side of the village.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Buraston; or Boreaston. A township in the parish of Burford, and in the hundred of Overs. 7 miles south-west of Ludlow. Buraston and Whetmore townships contain 46 houses, 226 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Nash

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Nash, a township-chapelry in Burford parish, Salop; near the boundary with Worcester, 2 miles N by E of Tenbury r. station. Post-town, Tenbury. Pop., 269. Houses, 55. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the first portion of the rectory of Burford, in the diocese of Hereford.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Nash. A township in the parish of Burford, and in the hundred of Overs. Nash, Tilsop, and Weston, contain 74 houses, 377 inhabitants. 6 miles south-west of Ludlow. Nash is a chapel to Burford, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Burford, and archdeaconry of Salop. It is served by one of the rectors of Burford.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Whitton

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Whitton, a township in the parish of Burford, hund. of Overs, union of Tenbury, county of Salop; 3½ miles north-west by north of Tenbury. Tithes of Whitton, with those of Vennington-Marsh and Wigmore, commuted in 1840; aggregate amount £324 17s. 5d. Acreage with the parish. Houses 14. A.P. £1,094. Pop., in 1801, 62; in 1831, 76. Poor rates, in 1838, £31 12s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Parish Registers

Burford Parish Registers 1558-1812

Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XVI (1915)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; W. G. D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Burford Parish Registers 1558-1812 - Archive.org

Poll Books

Burford Shropshire Poll Book 1865

 Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Cleobury Mortimer Polling District

Burford, Parish of

1428 Bangham Thomas

1429 Crampton William

1430 Davies William

1431 Edwards Edmond

1432 Giles William

1433 Grove Joseph

1434 Hotchkiss Thomas

1435 Houseman Richard

1436 Joyce Rev. James Wayland

1437 Lloyd John, dead

1438 Morris John

1439 Morris John

1440 Rushout George

1441 Russell William

1442 Rose James

1443 Smith Edmond

1444 Tudor Joseph

1445 Whitford Rev. Caleb

1446 Williams Philip Penry

1447 Williams James

Boraston and Whatmore Shropshire Poll Book 1865

 Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Cleobury Mortimer Polling District

Boraston and Whatmore — Townships of

1415 Amies Samuel

1416 Arthur John

1417 Lucas Benjamin

1418 MacLoughlin Rev. Hubert

1419 Meakin Richard

1420 Millichamp John

1421 Mytton William

1422 Mytton James

1423 Mytton Thomas

1424 Reynolds William

1425 Smith John

1426 Stiff William Phillimore, see 503, 861

1427 Wood William

Nash, Tilsop, & Weston Shropshire Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Cleobury Mortimer Polling District

Nash, Tilsop, & Weston - Townships of

1594 Barber John

1595 Barber Stephen, see 1519

1596 Bate Richard

1597 Beaumont John

1598 Beddoes Thomas

1599 Bytheway Benjamin

1600 Bradley George

1601 Jones John

1602 Jones James

1603 Jones James

1604 Lowe Charles Arthur

1605 Millichamp Samuel

1606 Morris Edward

1607 Mountford Samuel

1608 Pardoe George

1609 Perrins Edward

1610 Price William

1611 Radnor William

1612 Revel John

1613 Robinson George

1614 Robinson Robert

1615 Trantram Thomas

1616 Wheeler Edward Vincent

1617 Wilding Henry

Whitton Shropshire Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Cleobury Mortimer Polling District

Whitton— Township of

1764 Mills Samuel, dead

1765 Mills Samuel, dead

Directories

Burford (with Boraston, Whatmore, Nash, Tilsop, Weston, Whitton and Stoke) Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Burford is a parish, comprising the townships of Burford, Boraston, Whatmore, Nash, Tilsop, Weston, Whitton, and Stoke, five miles from Wooferton station, and eight from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Overs hundred, Tenbury union, and diocese of Hereford.  The church of St. Mary is an old building.  It contains many monuments of the Cornewall family, and the tomb of Elizabeth of Lancaster, a daughter of John of Gaunt.  The living is in three portions: the income of the first portion is about £500 per annum, the second about £270, and the third about £470; residences are attached to each of the three portions, which are all in the gift of Lord Northwick.  There are two schools, one at Burford, and the other at Nash.  There are almshouses for eight widows.  Burford takes its name from having been a fortified Roman settlement.  Lord Northwick, who is lord of the manor, Colonel Hill, R. Mills, Esq., George Pardoe, Esq., P. P. Williams, Esq., and T. H. H. Edwardes, Esq., are the chief landowners.  The soil is chiefly clay; the subsoil is marl.  There are charities, yearly value about £50.  The population of the parish in 1861 was 1,121, and of Burford township 314; the area is 5,999 acres.

Boraston is a township, with a population of 176, and a chapel of ease.  Greet is a township, with a population of 26.  Nash is a township, with a population of 269, containing a chapel of ease and a school.  Stoke, a township, with a population of 47.  Tilsop, a township, with 104.  Weston, a township, with 44.  Whitton, a township, with 82 inhabitants, and a chapel of ease.  Whatmore township is one mile and a half north-east from Burford.  The population is 61.  Gross estimated rental: Boraston, £2,201; Burford, £4,009; Greet, £1,382; Nash, £3,285; Whitton, £979; rateable value, £2,004; £3,627; £1,261; £3,008; £895 respectively.
Letters are received through Tenbury.

Burford.
Davis William, esq., Dean park
Joyce Rev. James Wayland, J.P., Rectory
Northwich [sic] Lord, Burford house
Berrington John, farmer
Charles Thomas, bricklayer
Davis James, farmer
Davis William, farmer, Dean park
Edwards Edmund, farmer, and at Little Hereford
Jones William, Rose and Crown Inn, and farmer
Lloyd Ann and George, tailors
Lloyd William, carpenter and farmer
Morris John, farmer, The Lodge
Morris John, farmer, Burford farm
Morris Thomas, farmer, Pendeall
Rawlings Mary, farmer
Rose Jame [sic], farmer, Harp fields
Smallman Henry, farmer
Smith Edmund, shoe maker
Smith Edward, blacksmith
Walker Charles Plumer, Swan hotel, and farmer
Wall Thomas, farmer and miller, Rock hill
Wheeler James, miller and farmer
Williams James, farmer

Boraston.
McLaughlin Rev. Hubert, M.A., Rectory
Bowen Samuel, farmer
Downes Thomas, blacksmith
Howells William, mason
Jones John, Peacock inn
Lucas Benjamin, brick and tile maker and farmer
Millichamp John, farmer
Morris Edward, farmer
Morris Thomas, miller, Boraston mill
Mytton Edward, farmer
Mytton William, farmer
Powell William, carpenter and farmer
Radner William, farmer
Reynolds Thomas, farmer
Simmonds Francis, carpenter
Smallman William, farmer
Smith Mrs., farmer
Stewart Charles, farmer

Nash.
Hill Col. Arthur Charles, Court of Hill
Pardoe George, Esq., J.P., Nash court
Beeman John, farmer
Bradley George, farmer
Brown William, wheelwright
Corfield Edwin, farmer
Downes Benjamin, blacksmith
Hammond Thomas, farmer
Hardwick Vincent, farmer
Holt Letitia, farmer,
Lowe Frances, farmer
Morris Edward, stone mason and builder
Morris George, farmer
Pound Philip, farmer
Radner William, farmer
Robinson George, farmer
Robinson Robert, farmer
Wilding Henry, lime burner

Stoke.
Williams Philip Penry, esq., J.P., Stoke house
Rawlings John, farmer

Tilsop.
Bailey Samuel, farmer
Hammond Thomas, Golden Lion Inn
Peade William, farmer
Starrey John, farmer
Tantram Thomas, farmer

Whatmore.
Brown Thomas, farmer
Davis Edmund, miller, Whatmore mill
Meakin Richard, farmer
Mytton James, farmer

Whitton.
Morris Mr. Thomas
Whitefoord Rev. Caleb, M.A., Rectory
Amies Richard, wheelwright
Bill Sarah, farmer
Lawley Joseph, blacksmith
Mills M., farmer
Thomas John, farmer, Whitton house
Town Benjamin, shopkeeper
Wall Thomas, farmer
Whittall Thomas, carpenter and builder
Williams Samuel, wheelwright, &c.

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Tenbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Tenbury
  • Hundred: Overs
  • Province: Canterbury