Bucknell is an Ancient Parish mostly in Shropshire and partly in Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Buckton with Coxall, Heath and Jay.
Parish registers begin: 1598
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Bucknell
- Historical Descriptions
- Poll Books
Parishes adjacent to Bucknell
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BUCKNELL, a township and a parish in the district of Knighton; the former in the county of Salop: the latter partly also in the county of Hereford. The township lies on the river Teme, adjacent to the Knighton railway, 4½ miles ENE of Knighton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leintwardine. Acres, 2,730. Real property, £5,914. Pop., 622. Houses, 108. The parish includes also the township of Buckton and Coxall. Acres, 4,160. Real property, with Brampton-Brian and Pedwardine, £10,230. Pop., 790. Houses, 139. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Buckton, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £332. Patron, the Grocers' Company, London. The church is good. Charities, £18.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Bucknell Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Bucknell. A parish in the Stow division of the hundred of Purslow, a chapelry in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Clun, and archdeaconry of Salop. This parish is partly in Wigmore hundred, county of Hereford. The entire parish contains 465 inhabitants. The Shropshire part contains 57 houses, 331 inhabitants. 9 ¼ miles south-east by south of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
Alternative names: Buckton with Coxall
Buckton with Coxall is a township, in the parish of Bucknell, Shropshire, in the Leominster division of the county, Wigmore hundred, Leominster and Wigmore rural district, Knighton county court district and petty sessional division.
Alternative names: Buckton with Coxall
Church: St. James (erected in 1877) inhabitants chiefly attend the churches of Bucknell and Brampton Bryan.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Buckton. A township in the parish of Bucknell, and in the Stow division of the hundred of Purslow. 10 ½ miles south-east of Bishopscastle.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Bucknell Shropshire Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Clun Polling District
1828 Bevan Francis
1829 Coope Joseph Richard
1830 Crowe Richard
1831 Dyke Benjamin
1832 Davies James
1833 Davies Richard
1834 Edwards Francis
1835 Edwards Thomas
1836 Edwards Thomas
1837 Evans George
1838 Gittins Henry
1839 Gittins Thomas
1840 Jones Thomas
1841 Lellow Edward, dead
1842 Lord John
1843 Matthews Philip Morris, junr.
1844 Matthews Philip Morris, see 1998
1845 Mansell Evans John
1846 Mason John
1847 Morris Richard
1848 Prosser John
1849 Preece John
1850 Preece John
1851 Probert John, sen,
1852 Probert John, jun.
1853 Rogers Samuel
1854 Sitwell Hurt Willoughby, see 2125
1855 Smith William
1856 Stedman Edward, see 2043
1857 Stedman William, see 1858
1858 Stedman William, see 1857
1859 Stedman Richard
1860 Stedman James
1861 Stedman Caleb
Buckton Kellys Herefordshire and Shropshire Directory 1941
Buckton with Coxall is a township, in the parish of Bucknell, Shropshire, in the Leominster division of the county , Wigmore hundred, Leominster and Wigmore rural district, Knighton county court district and petty sessional division, and has a station on the Great Western railway. Buckton consists of a few farms , and Coxall of one farm and several cottage farms, about 1 mile from the parish church and 6 north-east from Knighton station on the Shrewsbury-Builth Road section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway. The church or chapel of ease of St. James, erected in 1877, at a cost of about £100, is an iron structure with a western turret containing one bell: services are occasionally held here, but the inhabitants chiefly attend the churches of Bucknell and Brampton Bryan. John Ralph Henry Harley esq. J.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, sandy. The chief crops are wheat, burley and turnips. The area is 1,300, acres of land and 13 of water; the population in 1931 was 141.
Letters for Buckton and Coxall through Bucknell, Shropshire. Brampton Bryan is the nearest M. O. & T. office.
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Burgoyne Morgan, miller (water). Leintwardine 233
* Davies Chas. Farmer, Lower Buckton. Leintwardine 232
* Manford Saml. Christian, farmer, Buckton pk. Leintwardine 209
* Whiteman Leslie, farmer, White ho. Leintwardine 242
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Hughes Ellen (miss), cowkeeper
Jacks Edwin, cottage farmer
Jarret Harry, cottage farmer
Jones William, cottage farmer
Lewis Albt. Cottage farmer
Page Jn. Cottage farmer
Rogers Roger, cottage farmer
Rogers Thos. cottage farmer
* Thomas Jn. Farmer, Coxal farm. Bucknell 212
Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information
Bucknell Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Bucknell is a parish and village, eight miles from Craven Arms station, twelve from Ludlow, and thirty from Shrewsbury, in the Southern division of the county, Clun and Purslow hundred, Knighton union, and diocese of Hereford; it is situated on the Teme river. The church of St. Mary has lately undergone restoration, at a cost of £1, 600. The living is an endowed vicarage, yearly value £400, with residence and 242 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Grocers’ Company, London. There is a school for boys and girls, supported by Mr. Sitwell and the clergyman and voluntary contributions. There is a chapel for Primitive Methodists. The charities are of £21 2s. yearly value. Here is a fine old British camp, supposed by some to be the place of Caractacus’s last stand. William Willoughby H. Sitwell, Esq.. who is lord of the manor, and Lady Langdale, we the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is gravel. The population of the township of Bucknell in 1861 was 622; the area is 2,730 acres; gross estimated rental, £3, 242; rateable value, £2,860. In the parish are two townships, Bucknell and Bucton, the latter being in Herefordshire, and will be found in the Directory of that county.
Letters from Shrewsbury delivered at 7 a.m., dispatched at 8.35 p.m.
Matthews Mrs, Turkey hall
Ruthven The Hon. Mrs. Hore, Glengowrie
Sharpe Rev. Clement Charles, M.A., Rectory
Stedman Mr. Edward
Bailey Thomas, carpenter and builder
Beaumont John, farmer and cattle dealer
Carter Thomas, farmer and miller
Crowe Richard, shoe maker
Davies James, mason
Edwards Thomas, farmer
Gittins Henry, mason
Gittins Richard, shopkeeper
Jones Thomas, farmer, Woodside
Jordan William, wheelwright
Lello Edward, farmer, Mynd
Lewis William, farmer, Cwm
Lord John, farmer, New house
Luggar William, carpenter and shopkeeper
Morris Richard, gardener, Mynd
Powis Richard, tailor
Preece John, miller
Probert John, Sitwell Arms, and farmer
Probert John, butcher and farmer
Rodgers Samuel, boot and shoe maker
Rodgers Thomas, farmer
Sherwood Charles, beer retailer
Smith John and Martha, farmers
Stedman Richard, farmer and maltster, The Hall
Stedman William, farmer, The Farm
Stedman William, landowner and farmer, Bucknell house
Stephens Peter farmer
Williams William, shopkeeper
Winniatt Jones, timber dealer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Knighton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Clun
- Poor Law Union: Knighton
- Hundred: Purslow
- Province: Canterbury