Broughton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1718 from a chapelry in Shrewsbury St Mary Ancient Parish.
Broughton is a parish in the diocese of Lichfield, rural deanery of Wem, and formerly in the Liberties of Shewsbury. It contains 879 acres, and the population in 1881 was 204. In Domesday it is called Burtone, and it was then in the hundred of Baschurch and was held by the Shrewsbury Church of St. Chad. Its township Yorton, in Domesday written Lartune, was also held by St Chad’s. The chapelry of Clive and Sansaw is also called Burtone in Domesday but this Burtone was held by the Shrewsbury Church of St Mary; and Clive and Sansaw are still two townships in the parish of St Mary’s.
The old church of St Margaret at Broughton was a small building, which was stripped of its roof, and left to decay in the year 1857, when a new church dedicated to St Mary was erected on higher ground at Yorton. It had a bull from Julius II. and Leo X., early in the sixteenth century, by which every pilgrim who visited the chapel, and said certain prayers there, received 1500 days of pardon with clear remission. This document is printed in Cough’s Middle and in Phillip’s History of Shrewsbury, p. 04, Of the old church, portions of the east, south and west walls now remain. In the old churchyard is the base of a cross, and several tombstones to the Hales, Brid, Parr, Maddox, and other families.
Other places in the parish include: Yorton.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1705
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Broughton
- Parish History
- Parish Registers
- Parish Records
Parishes adjacent to Broughton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BROUGHTON, a parish in Wem district, Salop; on the Crewe and Shrewsbury railway, at Yorton station, 3½ miles SSW of Wem. It includes the township of Yorton; and its post town is Grinshill, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 880. Rated property, £1,619. Pop., 223. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £65. Patron, Viscount Hill. The church was built in 1860; is in the early decorated style; and consists of nave and chancel, with bell turret and vestry.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Broughton, co. Salop.
P.T. Shrewsbury (153) 8 m. N. Pop.177.
A parish in the liberty of the town of Shrewsbury; living, a curacy in the archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, of the certified value of 4l.; ann. val. P. R. 46l.; patron (1829) R. Lister, Esq.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Broughton Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Broughton. A parish in the liberties of Shrewsbury, a chapelry in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 31 houses, 177 inhabitants. 3 miles south of Wem.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
Broughton Parish Registers 1705-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. 1 (1900)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
England, Shropshire, Broughton
England, Shropshire, Broughton (near Wem) – Cemeteries ( 1 )
Monumental inscriptions of St. Mary’s Church, Broughton, Shropshire, 1856-1979
Author: Jones, Roger; Jones, Veronica; Parton, Beryl
England, Shropshire, Broughton (near Wem) – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Broughton, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office
England, Shropshire, Broughton (near Wem) – Church records ( 2 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Broughton, near Wem, 1630-1853
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Broughton (near Wem, Shropshire)
Registers of Broughton
England, Shropshire, Broughton (near Wem) – Church records – Indexes ( 1 )
Computer printout of Broughton by Wem, Shropshire, England
England, Shropshire, Broughton (near Wem) – Schools ( 1 )
Log books and admission registers, 1873-1925
Author: Broughton, Clive and Grinshill School (Clive, Shropshire)
Broughton Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Broughton is a parish, comprising the townships of Broughton and Yorton, seven miles from Shrewsbury, three and a half south from Wem, and 170 from London, in the Northern division of the county, Albrighton division, Wem union, and diocese of Lichfield; it is situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Wem and Chester. The church is a neat building of stone, partly gothic, built in 1858. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £65, in the gift of Viscount Hill. Vicarial tithes commuted at £105; Henry Lister, Esq., is impropriator of the great tithes. This place was occupied and fortified by the Romans. Viscount Hill, who is lord of the manor, and Robert Gardner, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is mostly heavy; subsoil, stone and rock. The population in 1861 was 223; the area is about 880 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,931: rateable value, £1,787.
Yorton is a township, and station on the Shrewsbury and Crewe branch of the London and North Western Railway. Yorton villa is the residence of William Nevitt, Esq., and Broughton House is the residence of Mr. John Heatley.
Letters through Shrewsbury.
Railway Station, Yorton, John Ashton. Stationmaster.
Bright Edward, farmer
Heatley John, farmer, Broughton house
Horley John, wheelwright
Lea William, farmer, Yorton
Mollineaux Joseph, blacksmith, and parish clerk
Nevitt William, farmer, Yorton villa
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
Bagshaw History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1851
BROUGHTON, a parish and township in the Albrighton division, also contains the township of Yorton, which conjointly contain 878a. 2r. 1p. of land, and in 1841 had 37 houses and 188 inhabitants. The soil is mostly a stiff loam, and the meadow land is of good quality. There are 27a. of woods and plantations in the parish. The principal land owners are Viscount Hill, Spencer Roger Dickin, Esq., Mr. William Teece, and Cornelius Maddocks, the former is lord of the manor. Rateable value of the parish, £1836. 10s. The Church is a small ancient structure, dedicated to St. Mary, and was formerly subordinate to that of St. Mary, Shrewsbury; it is built of rubble stone, and rough cast, and has nave, chancel, porch, and small turret. The living is a perpetual curacy returned in £67, in the patronage of Viscount Hill, and incumbency of the Rev. Francis Parkes. It is related on a late occasion the parish clerk of Broughton was desired to acquaint the congregation during public worship that the then officiating minister would perform divine service at that church and at the Clive alternately, when, not exactly understanding the meaning of the latter term, he very gravely gave notice the Rev. Mr. W. “will preach here and at the Clive to all eternity.” The tithes are commuted for £105, Henry Lister, Esq., is the impropriator. In the field where the church stands an attempt has recently been made to open coal works; it appears that coal was found and lime works were also established, but the project was shortly after abandoned.
Directory.—Mr. William Clay, The farm; Mr. Alderton Clay, The hall; Joseph Molynax, blacksmith; Mr. Samuel Sherratt, The villa, William Sutton, wheelwright.
YORTON, a small scattered township in the parish of Broughton, is situate about one mile from the church. The population and acres are included in the returns for Broughton. Viscount Hill is lord of the manor, Robert Panting Gardener, Esq., Mrs. Sarah Bayley and others are land owners. The greatest portion of the township is in the hands of R. P. Gardner, Esq.
Yorton Villa, the residence of the Rev. William Jaudwine, M.A., is a square stuccoed house pleasantly situated, and beautified with pleasure grounds, and shrubberies laid out with great taste. The following are the principal residents in this township:—Those with † affixed reside at Yorton Heath, Rev. William Jaudwine, M.A., The villa; † Thomas George, shopkeeper; † George Lea, farmer; † Joseph Lea, farmer; Lucy Martin, farmer; † Benjamin Shuker, farmer, Black Birch. Thomas Gregory carrier to Shrewsbury on Wednesday and Saturday.
Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire by Samuel Bagshaw 1851
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Wem
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Wem
- Poor Law Union: Wem
- Hundred: Albrighton Division
- Province: Canterbury