Broseley, Shropshire Family History Guide

Broseley is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Shropshire.

Alternative names: Burwardsley

Parish church: St. Leonard

Parish registers begin: 1570

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BROSELEY, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict in Madeley district, Salop. The town stands on the river Severn, and on the Severn Valley railway, adjacent to Coalport station, 7½ miles SSE of Wellington. It extends away from the river a distance of 2 miles, in an irregularly built street, crossed at intervals by small lanes. It is surrounded by a mining district, in which coal and iron-stone are worked; it carries on manufactures of fire-bricks, tiles, and tobacco pipes; and it has a post office under Wellington, Salop, a banking office, two chief inns, a town hall, a parish church, four dissenting chapels, and endowed charities £20. The church is in the later English style; and was built in 1845, at a cost of £9,000; but has a fine square tower of a previous church. A weekly market is held on Wednesday; and fairs on 26 Jan., 29 May, and 28 Oct. A petroleum spring is in the neighbourhood; and an iron bridge, with one arch of 100½ feet in span, over the Severn, is 2¾ miles to the NNW.—The parish comprises 1,912 acres. Real property, £8,791; of which £697 are in mines. Pop., 4,724. Houses, 983. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Linley, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £432. Patron, Lord Forester. The rectory of Jackfield is a separate charge.-The subdistrict contains five parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 7,847. Pop., 5,853. Houses, 1,208.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Broseley, co. Salop.

London 146m. NW. Pop.4814. M.D. Wed. Fairs, Easter Mond. and Oct. 29.

A market-town and parish in the hundred of Wenlock, situated on the river Severn, by which it is separated from Madeley. Here are coal and iron mines, with founderies of great magnitude for the working of the latter. A curious burning spring, or well, was discovered here in 1711, which disappeared by the sinking of a coal-mine in 1755. It is supposed that the water was impregnated with the inflammable substance, called petroleum, This town is celebrated for its extensive manufacture of tobacco-pipes and garden-pots. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Hereford; charged in K. B. 7l. 18s. 6½.; church ded. to St. Leonard; patron (1829) Lord Forrester.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Parish Records

FamilySearch

Birth Marriage & Death

Census

Migration & Naturalization

Military

Ancestry

Birth, Marriage & Death

Census & Voter Lists

Military

Immigration & Emigration

Directories & Member Lists

Court, Land, Wills & Financial

Parish Registers

Broseley Parish Registers 1570-1700

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. XIV (1921)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

Editor; Alfred F. C. C. Langley

Publisher: Mitchell and Hughes, 140 Wardour Street, W. London. 1889.

Broseley Parish Registers 1570-1700 - Archive.org

Broseley Parish Registers 1701-1750

Broseley Parish Registers 1701-1750 - Archive.org

The Register of Broseley Birch Meadow Chapel. Particular Baptist 1794-1835

Shropshire parish registers : Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers (1903)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Evans, George Eyre; Fletcher, W. G. D. (William George Dimock), 1851-1935; Kinsella, William

Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

The Register of Broseley Birch Meadow Chapel. Particular Baptist 1794-1835 - Archive.org

Directories

Broseley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Broseley is a parish, within the parliamentary and municipal limits of the borough of Wenlock, four miles from Much Wenlock, six from Bridgnorth, thirteen from Shrewsbury, seven from Wellington, and 142 from London, in the Southern division of the county, Madeley union, and diocese of Hereford.  Broseley is a ward within the jurisdiction of the municipal borough of Much Wenlock, and returns two aldermen and six councillors.  The church of All Saints’ is a stone structure, in the Perpendicular style; it was rebuilt in 1845, at a cost of £9,000, defrayed by voluntary contribution.  The living is a rectory, with that of Linley annexed, joint annual value £453, with 12 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Lord Forester.  In 1855 the building for National and Infant schools was erected at a cost of £1,600; it is a handsome structure in the Elizabethian style.  There are chapels for the Baptists, Wesleyans, Independents, and Primitive Methodists.  Broseley has long enjoyed a great celebrity in the manufacture of the superior glazed tobacco pipes, which are in high estimation.  A good trade is carried on in coals; the original Broseley bricks and tiles of a superior quality are made here.  Petty sessions are held every six weeks at the Town Hall.  A fair is held on the last Tuesday in April.  The principal objects of interest in this neighbourhood are Benthall Edge, Coalbrookdale, and Lincoln Hill, the surrounding scenery being most picturesque.  Lord Forester is lord of the manor and principal landowner.  The charities for the entire parish are about £40.  The soil is clayey. The population in 1861 was 4,724, and the area is 1,971 acres; gross estimated rental, £10,057; rateable value, £9,006.

Letters arrive from Wellington through Ironbridge, at 6 30 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m.
Post Office. – High street; Richard Rushton, postmaster.  Letters arrive from Wellington at 5 30 a.m.; dispatched at 7 45 p.m.
Public Officers:-
Clerk to the Trustees of Wenlock Turnpike Road, George Potts, High-street.
Sub-Distributor of Stamps, Richard Rushton, High-street.
Assessor and Collector of Taxes, Richard Rushton, High-street.
Registrar of Births and Deaths for Broseley District, William Perrin, High-street.
Carrier to Shrewsbury. – William Williams, from the New Crown Inn, every Monday and Friday.

Bartlam Edward Glover, esq. High St
Bathurst Henry martin, esq. Church St
Brothwood Rev. T. Queen street
Cobbold Rev. R. H. Rectory, High St
Colley Miss, Barret’s hill
Davis Mr. George, Church street
Evans William esq. Queen street
Francis Mr. William, Church street
Hall Mr. William Church street
Hartshorne Frederic Hezekiah, esq. Church street
Johnson Mrs. Barratt’s hill
Jones William, esq. Dinge house
Lee Rev. Henry, B.A. Holly house, King street
Martin Mr. Francis Henry, High St
Maw John Hornby, esq. Barratt’s hill
Nicholas William, esq. Field house
Perrin Mr. William, Chapel street
Potts George, esq. The Green
Pountney John, esq. High street
Prior Mr. Edwin, The Green
Pritchard John, esq. J.P. High street
Thursfield Thomas Greville, M.D. Queen street

Trades And Professions.
Applebee William, miller, Church St
Aston James, coal master King St
Barthlam Edward Glover, surgeon, & coroner for the borough of Much Wenlock, High street
Bentley John, Albion Inn, High street
Broadhurst Thomas, builder, King St
Bullock Samuel, mining agent, Church street
Burnet John & Son, grocers, High St
Burnet Isaac, boot & shoe maker, High street
Burnet J. Abraham, provision dealer, Church street
Burnet William, manure agent, High St
Cartwright George, butcher, King St
Cartwright James, butcher, High St
Charlton Humphrey, wine, spirit, & seed merchant, High street
Chilton Richard, shoe maker, King St
Clayton George, farmer, Rowton farm
Cowley John Henry, ironmonger, Fox lane
Cox Benjamin, coal dealer, Quarry road
Davies John, butcher, Broseley wood
Davies Samuel, butcher, maltster & farmer, King street
Davis George & Francis, brick & tile manufacturers, Dunge works
Davis Thomas, tailor, Delph
Doughty Robert, linen draper, High St
Evans & Goof, mineral agents, Ockley bank
Evans William, artist, Queen street
Evans William, mining agent, High St
Evans Wm. Barnaby, shopkeeper, Broseley wood
Exley William, builder & brick manufacturer
Felton William, farmer, Swinbatch
Foster & Co. ironstone pits
Francis Thomas, tailor, Barratt’s hill
Garbett John, plumber, &c. Queen St
Garbett Joseph, blacksmith & wheelwright, Lower Church street
Garbett William, earthenware dealer, Duke street
Glover Edward, hair dresser, High St
Greatbach Thomas, butcher, High St
Greenhalgh, ladies’ boarding school, Church street
Gwynn Enoch, basket maker, Harris’s green
Harris William, tinman, King street
Hartshorne Charles, builder, High St
Hartshorne Francis, shopkeeper, Broseley wood
Hartshorne Frederic Hezekiah, surgeon, Church street
Hartshorne N. T. boot & shoe maker, High street
Harvey John, grocer, King street
Harvey Thomas, seedsman & gardener, Church street
Hayman John, glass dealer, Barber’s row
Hill & Aston, coal masters, Hay cup
Hill & Co. coal masters
Hill William, butcher, Duke street
Howells Thomas, boot & she maker, Barratt’s hill
Humphries Benjamin, The Talbot Inn, Church street
Humphries John, grocer, & wine & spirit dealer, High street
Instone Richard, grocer & provision dealer, Church street
Instone Samuel, Pheasant Inn, & grocer, Church street
Jones Bromley, farmer
Jones Richard, painter, High street
Jones, Samuel, baker, King street
Jones Thomas, The Elephant Inn, High street
Jones Thomas, saddler, High street
Jones William, land & road surveyor, farmer & contractor, Dinge house
William, Lion hotel, High street
Lake Humphrey, butcher, Barratt’s hill
Lane Thomas, Cape of Good Hope Inn, High street
Langford George, parish clerk, Lower Church street
Lawrence Thomas, linen draper, High St
Leadbetter Enoch, auctioneer, High St
Leadbetter James, blacksmith, King St
Leadbetter John, boot & shoe maker, Church street
Lewis George Warburton, brick & tile manufacturer, High street
Lister John C. W. wine & spirit merchant
Lloyd Adolphus, butcher, Church street
Lloyd Hiram, builder, High street
Mason James, shoe maker, High street
Mason John, grocer, King street
Matthews Richard, New Crown Inn, & maltster, High street
Maw & Co manufacturers of geometrical mosaic, and encaustic tile pavements, Benthall works
Meredith Samuel, blacksmith, Rock
Miles Ann Duke of York, Ocley bank
Moore William, Hand and Tankard Inn, Workhouse lane
Morris John, May Pole Inn, Woodlands green
Morris Thomas, timber haulier and farmer, Coneybury
Nevett Enoch, stationer, High street
Nevett James Brian, tailor and stationer, High street
Nevett Mary Ann, straw hat and bonnet manufacturer, High street
Nevett Samuel Leigh, grocer, Sibby’s lane
Onions George, confectioner, Church St
Onslow Cyrus Edmond, Victoria Inn, and veterinary surgeon, Church St
Perrin William, registrar of births and deaths for Broseley district, High St
Peters Richard, ironmonger, Barber’s row
Plimley Thomas, coal master, Barber’s row
Porter John, wheelwright, Church St
Potts & Son, solicitors, High street
Potts George, clerk of the peace for the borough of Wenlock, and registrar of the Madeley county court, High street
Pountney Edwin, confectioner, Church street
Pountney John, accountant, High St
Powell Richard, shopkeeper, Woodlands green
Pritchard Nicholas & Co. bankers, High street
Prior Edwin, agent, The Bank
Pugh Hannah, glass and china dealer, High street
Rawlins Edward, farmer, Swinbatch
Roden Charles, professor of music, Nora cottage
Roden Thomas, Woodbridge Inn, Woodbridge
Rufus Hannah, King’s Head, King St
Rushton Richard, grocer, High street
Rushton Thomas, ale and porter merchant, Barber’s row
Senior George, millwright, &c., Church street
Shaw John, Duke of Cumberland Inn, Duke street
Smith James, tailor, Chapel street
Smith Moses, draper, King street
Smitheman Rowland, builder, timber dealer, and contractor
Southorn Edwin, manufacturer of the patent Broseley pipes, Broseley pipe works
Stevens John, chemist, High street
Thomas Henry and Son, linen drapers, Church street
Thomas, Mary Ann and Josiah, hosiers, High street
Thompson Patrick, shoe maker, Duke St
Thorn Penelope Jane, encaustic tile manufacturer, Broseley brick and tile works
Thursfield Greville, M.D. surgeon, Church street
Tonkis Richard, pipe manufacturer, Barratt’s hill
Turner Richard, Forester’s Arms, Lower Church street
Watson Thomas, farmer, Barratt’s hill
Watts Isaac, linen draper, High street
Weeks Eliza, Lord Hill Inn, King St
Weeks John, boot and shoe maker, Chapel street
Weeks Thomas, boot and shoe maker, King street
Wilkinson Richard, saddler, High St
Wootton Herbert, butcher, High street

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Broseley Universal Directory 1791

Broseley is parted from Madeley by the river Severn on the south-west, and is a very populous parish, coals and iron being its chief manufactories.  The iron-founderys are carried on by William Banks and John Onions, Esqrs. of  Benthall, where they another foundery.  John Wilkinson, Esq. has also an iron-foundery in this parish, and Alexander Brodie, Esq. another.  The Earl of Dundonald has likewise upwards of fifty stills here for extracting mineral tar from the pit-coals.  Here is also a manufacture of glazed tobacco-pipes. – In 1711 a burning-spring was discovered here, the most remarkable indeed of which any particular description remains upon record.  The following account of this spring was given by the Rev. Mr. Mason, Woodwarden professor at Cambridge, dated February 18, 1746.  “The well for four or five feet deep is six or seven feet wide; within that is another less hole of like depth dug in the clay, in the bottom whereof is placed a cylindric earthen vessel, of about four or five inches diameter at the mouth, having the bottom taken off, and the sides will fixed in the clay rammed close about it.  Within the pot is brown water, thick as puddle, continually forced up with a violent motion beyond that of boiling water, and a rumbling hollow noise, rising or falling by fits five or six inches; but there was no appearance of any vapour rising, which perhaps might have been visible, had not the sun shone so bright.  Upon putting a candle down at the end of a stick, at about a quarter of a yard distance, it took fire, darting and flashing after a very violent manner for about half a yard high, much in the manner of spirits in a lamp, but with great agitation.  It was said, that a tea-kettle has been made to boil in about nine minutes time, and that it had been left burning for forty-eight hours without any sensible diminution.  It was extinguished by putting a wet mop upon it; which must be kept there for a little time, otherwise it would not go out.  Upon removal of the mop there arises a sulphureous smoke lasting about a minute, and yet the water is cold to the touch.”  In 1755, this well totally disappeared by the sinking of a coal-pit in its neighbourhood. – The cause of the inflammable property of such waters, is with great probability supposed to be their mixture with petroleum, which is one of the most inflammable substances in nature, and has the property of burning on the surface of water. – The principal inn in Broseley is the Lion. – The following is a list of the principal inhabitants.

Gentry.

Blakeway Edward, Esq.
Stephens John, Esq.
Wilkinson John, Esq.

Physic.

Boden Daniel, Surgeon and Apothecary
Corbett John, Surgeon and Apothecary
Thursfield W. Surgeon and Apothecary
Wyke Abr. Surgeon and Apothecary

Traders, &c.

Baker Jeremiah, Mercer and Draper
Hartshorne William, Watchmaker
James John, Mercer and Draper
Prestwick Elias, Liquor-merchant

Source: Universal British Directory 1791

Hearth Tax

Broseley The Shropshire Hearth Tax Roll 1672

Format = Name; Fireharths; ll. (Pounds); s. (shillings)

Mr. Robert Ogden; 6; 0; 12

Lewis Williams; 4; 0; 8

John Geares; 8; 0; 16

Widdowe Eanes; 3; 0; 6

Widdowe Cox; 1; 0; 2

William Benbowe; 1; 0; 2

Joane Cox; 1; 0; 2

John Sutton; 1; 0; 2

Mr. John Langley; 3; 0; 6

Samuell Owen; 2; 0; 4

John Langley, gent.; 10; 1; 0

Thomas Jones; 1; 0; 2

Richard Whyn; 3; 0; 6

Mr. Michaell Old; 7; 0; 14

Francis Roberts; 2; 0; 4

David Humphryes; 2; 0; 4

Henry Barrett; 1; 0; 2

Francis Oakes; 1; 0; 2

Francis Hadden; 2; 0; 4

John Preene; 2; 0; 4

Francis Benbowe; 3; 0; 6

James Harrison; 2; 0; 4

Mr. John Langley; 3; 0; 6

Mr. Andrew Langley; 3; 0; 6

William Bookely; 4; 0; 8

Widdow Russell; 3; 0; 6

Widdow Oakes; 3; 0; 6

William Oakes; 5; 0; 10

Widdowe Oakes; 6; 0; 12

Thomas Osberry; 3; 0; 6

Humphrey Brookes; 1; 0; 2

George Reynoldes; 5; 0; 10

Tymothye Crompton; 2; 0; 4

John Beard; 2; 0; 4

Robert Evans; 1; 0; 2

Mr. John Lacon; 1; 0; 2

Adam Crompton; 7; 0; 14

Francis Nash; 2; 0; 4

Edward Eaues; 6; 0; 12

Thomas Williams; 1; 0; 2

John Eaues; 4; 0; 8

Richard Harugge; 3; 0; 6

Widdowe Lewis; 4; 0; 8

David Arrington; 1; 0; 2

Richard Weaton; 3; 0; 6

Mr. Richard Crompton; 4; 0; 8

Ralph Bydle; 1; 0; 2

Richard Amphlett; 1; 0; 2

Widdowe Barnett; 1; 0; 2

Thomas Pryce; 1; 0; 2

Richard Rowley; 2; 0; 4

Walter Hartshorne; 3; 0; 6

Richard Corbett; 3; 0; 6

Richard Beard; 2; 0; 4

Adam Stoakes; 2; 0; 4

John Woaton; 3; 0; 6

John Bookly; 1; 0; 2

Thomas Cullas; 1; 0; 2

Thomas Nash; 1; 0; 2

Thomas Handly; 3; 0; 6

Morrice Deacon; 2; 0; 4

William Bowell ; 1; 0; 2

Thomas Lee; 1; 0; 2

Widdowe Crowe; 4; 0; 8

Evan Robertes; 1; 0; 2

William Evans; 1; 0; 2

George Guest; 2; 0; 4

John Guest; 1; 0; 2

John Hemlocke; 1; 0; 2

Richard Hemlocke; 1; 0; 2

Robert Harris; 1; 0; 2

Humphrey Harris; 2; 0; 4

Thomas Geares; 2; 0; 4

Morris Jenckin; 1; 0; 2

John Whittmore; 4; 0; 8

Thomas Corbett; 2; 0; 4

William Corbett Bockely (sic); 2; 0; 4

John Jarman; 1; 0; 2

Widdowe Bookly; 2; 0; 4

Widdowe Hughlett; 1; 0; 2

William Harris; 2; 0; 4

John Harris; 1; 0; 2

Edward Russell; 2; 0; 4

Widdowe Davies; 1; 0; 2

Edward Cox senr.; 1; 0; 2

Thomas Lewis; 1; 0; 2

Christopher Symson; 1; 0; 2

Thomas Nash; 2; 0; 4

Edward Cox junr. ; 1; 0; 2

Thomas Jarman; 1; 0; 2

George Phillipps; 4; 0; 8

William Mayor; 2; 0; 4

Richard Onslowe; 1; 0; 2

Mr. William Crompton; 14; 1; 8

Totals – Fireharths – 235; ll. (Pounds) – 23: s. (Shillings) – 10.

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Bill Jeremiah, Broseley, Salop, butcher and grocer, Nov. 30, 1832.

 

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Madeley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Wenlock
  • Poor Law Union: Madeley
  • Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough
  • Province: Canterbury