Bourton Shropshire Family History Guide

Bourton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1770 from chapelry in Much Wenlock Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Atterley Bourton

Other places in the parish include: Atterley and Walton and Atterley.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Bourton

Historical Descriptions

Bourton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BURTON, a chapelry in Much Wenlock parish, Salop; 3 miles SW by S of Much Wenlock r. station. It has a post office under Wellington, Salop. The statistics are returned with the parish. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £50. Patron, the Vicar of Much Wenlock.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Atterley

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ATTERLEY, a township in Much-Wenlock parish, Salop; 2 miles SE of Much-Wenlock. Pop., 52.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Atterley. A township in the parish of Much Wenlock, and in the franchise of Wenlock, 1 ½ mile south-east of Much Wenlock.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Madeley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Wenlock
  • Poor Law Union: Madeley
  • Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough
  • Province: Canterbury