Boscobel is an extra-parochial place
Parish registers begin:
Parishes adjacent to Boscobel
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOSCOBEL, an extra-parochial tract in Shiffnall district, Salop; on the verge of the county, in Brewood forest, 6 miles E by N of Shiffnall. Acres, 600. Pop., 22. Houses, 3. Boscobel House, then a seat of the Giffords, was the hiding-place of Charles II., on 3 Sept., 1651, after the battle of Worcester. The edifice was of timber, and is much altered; but still retains some of its original features, together with reminiscences of the king’s retreat; and is shown to strangers. An oak tree near it is said to be a scion of the oak in which the king sat concealed while his pursuers passed round and under it.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Boscobel Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Boscobel. An extra-parochial place, in the Hales Owen division of the hundred of Brimstry, containing 5 houses, and 30 inhabitants, about 6 miles east of Shiffnall, remarkable in history, as the place in which king Charles the second concealed himself from his pursuers, after unfortunate battle of Worcester. Boscobel house is now the property of Thomas Evans, Esq.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
Boscobel Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Boscobel is a parish, 3 miles east from Tong, 6 east from Shifnal, and 8 from Wolverhampton, in the Southern division of the county, Shifnal division of Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union, and diocese of Lichfield. Boscobel House is remarkable as being the hiding-place of Charles II., when he fled from the battle of Worcester, pursued by Cromwell; conducted by the Earl of Derby, he was concealed in a hole entered by a small trap door, which remains as it originally was, in the oaken floor of the cheese room, the house being then occupied as a farm; a diligent search was made for the king, but he escaped through a secret opening in connection with the chimney, and took refuge in a tree near the house, thickly covered with ivy; this tree has long disappeared; but another, on its site, and grown from one of its acorns, stands surrounded by an iron railing to protect it; at a short distance from the house stand also the remains of a convent, called the “White Ladies,” as distinct from another, called, “Black Ladies,” at Bishop’s Wood, in Staffordshire. The Misses Evans are ladies of the manor and principal landowners. The soil is a strong loam; the subsoil, red sandstone. The area is 600 acres, and the population in 1861 was 22; gross estimated rental, £859; rateable value, £773.
Letters are received from Wolverhampton.
Evans Misses, Boscobel house
Wilson Thomas, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Shifnal
- Probate Court: Search surrounding parishes
- Diocese: Not Applicable
- Rural Deanery: Not Applicable
- Poor Law Union: Shifnal
- Hundred: Brimstree
- Province: Canterbury