Boningale is a chapelry of Stockton Ancient Parish in Shropshire.
Alternative names: Bonningale, Bonninghall, Boninghall
Parish registers begin: 1698
Parishes adjacent to Boningale
- Tettenhall Regis
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BONINGALE, or Boninghall, a parish in Shiffnall district, Salop; on the verge of the county, 1½ mile S by W of Albrighton r. station, and 5 ½ SE of Shiffnall. Post Town, Albrighton, under Wolverhampton. Acres, 1,003. Real property, £2,198. Pop., 187. Houses, 38. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £260. Patron,T. Whitmore, Esq.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Bonningale or Bonninghall Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Bonningale; or Bonninghall. A parish in the Shiffnall division of the hundred of Brimstry, a chapelry, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 30 houses, 160 inhabitants. 5 miles south-east of Shiffnall.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
Neach Hall Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Neach Hall near Bonningale. 3 miles south-east of Shiffnal, the seat of – Bishton, Esq.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Boningale Parish Registers 1698-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. III (1901)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Bonningale Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Bonningale is a small parish, 1 mile and a half from Albrighton station, 5 miles from Shifnal, 23 from Shrewsbury, and 131 from London, in the Southern division of the County, Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union, and diocese of Lichfield, situated on the turnpike road from Shrewsbury to Birmingham. The church of St. Chad is a stone building. The living is a rectory, and the tithes are commuted at £234 yearly, with 12 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Thomas, Charlton Whitmore, Esq. There is a school for boys and girls. The charities are of £1 16s. 8d. yearly value. Henry Ward, Esq., (lord of the manor), Mr. John Oatley, George Robinson, Esq., and the Rev. H. Downing, are the principal land owners. The soil is a rich loam; the subsoil is partly gravel and red sandstone. The population in 1861 was 187; the parish contains 947 acres of land; gross estimated rental, £2,475; rateable value, £2, 201.
Letters through Shifnal. The nearest money order office is at Albrighton.
School. – Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor, mistress.
Bowe Mr. Henry, Bonningale park
Oatley Mr. John A. Woodhouse
Robinson George, esq. Whiston
Vaughton Thomas, esq. Whiston
Weatherby Mr. Andrew, Woodhouse
Bailey George, farmer, Lea hall
Cox Benjamin, shopkeeper
Duncalfe John, horsebreaker
Hayes Ann (Miss), Horns inn
Jones Thomas, Summer house Inn
Morgan George, cowkeeper
Perks James, shopkeeper
Royster Cornelius, wheelwright
Southall Benjamin, farmer
Taylor George F., shoemaker
Weaver Chas. L., farmer, Woodho. farm
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Shifnal
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Shifnal
- Poor Law Union: Shifnal
- Hundred: Brimstree
- Province: Canterbury