Bishops Castle Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871


Last updated on August 22nd, 2017

Bishop’s Castle is a municipal borough, market town, polling place for the Southern division of the county, and parish containing the boroughs of Bishop’s Castle and the out liberties and townships of Colebatch, Woodbatch, Broughton, Lea, and Oakeley, 12 miles west from Craven Arms railway station, 161 west from London, 20 south from Shrewsbury, 20 north-west from Ludlow, and 15 east from Welshpool, in Clun and Purslow hundred, Clun union, and diocese of Hereford, situated on the road between Ludlow and Welshpool.  The government of the town is vested in fifteen aldermen or capital burgesses, two of whom are annually appointed bailiff and recorder respectively, the jurisdiction is co-extensive with the borough, and they are annually elected at Michaelmas. Petty and quarter sessions are held, the former once a fortnight, and a county court once a month, for the recovery of debts under £50.  In the 20th, Edward I., the bishop of Hereford claimed for his tenants of Bishop’s Castle an exemption for attending the County or hundred Court, and the privilege of keeping a market every Friday, and a fair on the eve and feast of Decollation of St. John the Baptist, and the day following.  The church of St. John the Baptist was once a Decorated or Early English structure; but it was burnt over the heads of a body of the inhabitants while holding it as a place of defence in the Parliamentary wars.  The living is a vicarage, annual value £466 15s. 0d. with residence and 10 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Earl of Powis.  There is a small endowed school with an income of £48, and a commodions [sic] National school. The Primitive Methodists have a school for boys and girls here.  The Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans have each a chapel in the town.  There is a town hall, market house, and a police station. In 1852 a workhouse for the Clun union of nineteen parishes was erected here.  A market is held every Friday.  There are several stock fairs held on the second Friday in every month, with the exception of May Fair, for the hiring of servants, which is held on the first Friday after May Day.  The Earl of Powis is lord of the manor, and holds a court leet once a year.  The principal landowners are the Rev. William Garnett Botfield, the representatives of the Rev. Arthur Oakeley, and the Earl of Powis.  The soil is light loam; subsoil, clayey.  The population in 1861 was 2,083, the area is 5,630 acres. The gross estimated rental of the borough is £6,055, and of the township £4,410; rateable value, £5,356.

Broughton is supposed to have been a Roman town.

Post Office. – Edward Probert, postmaster. Letters arrive at 6-10 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m. Money orders granted & paid from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.

Town Clerk, Thomas Griffiths, Esq.

Public Establishments:-

Clun Union House, George Scales, master; Mrs. Mary Scales, matron.

County Court Office, Uvedale Corbett-Winder, Esq., judge; George Grazebrooke, Esq., treasurer; Thomas Griffiths, Esq., high bailiff; Frederick Pardoe, Esq., registrar.

Inland Revenue Office, Castle hotel, William Lavender, supervisor; Henry Hemstock, officer.

Police Station, George Hayward, sergeant.

Stamp Office, Mrs. Elizabeth Newill, sub-distributor.

Public Officers:-

Clerk to the County Court, to Guardians of the Clun Union, to Commissioner of the Income Tax, & Treasurer of Bishop’s Castle Turnpike Trust, Frederick Pardoe, Esq.

High Bailiff to County Court, Town Clerk, & Clerk to Turnpike Trustees, Thomas Griffiths, Esq.

Bailiff to County Court, Edward Bright.

Superintendent Registrar, Frederick Pardoe, Esq.

Registrar of Births & Deaths for Bishop’s Castle District, John Bowen.

Road Surveyor, William Ferguson.

Bishop’s Castle Railway, Elisha Edwin Owen, superintendent.

Allen Rev. P. S., Prospect house

Bright Mrs. Castle villa

Davies Miss Elizabeth

Griffithes Thomas Jones, esq

Herschel Mrs. Margaret

Jenkins Mr. John Harley

Newill Mr. Henry Starr

Rowland Rev. Wm. Morgan, M.A.

Acton Richard, baker

Bailey Edwin, grocer & draper

Bailey Frederick, Black Lion

Bailey Sarah, shopkeeper

Baker Jane, baker & confectioner

Beddoes John, farmer, Green fields

Beddoes Richard, farmer, Moat hill

Benbow William, farmer, Wood house

Bills Martha, chemist, &c.

Bird Benjamin, carpenter

Bird John, blacksmith

Bluck Mary, White Horse

Bore Alfred, hosier & draper

Bowen Benjamin, plumber, &c.

Bowen John, farmer, Bank’s head

Bowen John, shopkeeper

Bowen Richard, farmer, Colebatch

Breese George, baker

Bright Edward, chair maker

Bright Edward, tailor

Bright William, carpenter

Brook Henry, surgeon

Chelmick William, butcher

Chester Thomas, printer & stationer

Cooke George, shoe maker

Cross Richard, beer retailer

Davies Edward, chemist & druggist

Davies James, beer retailer

Davies John, shoe maker

Davies John, farmer, Green bank

Davies Martha, wheelwright

Davies William, shoe maker

Davies William, farmer

Dodd & Sankey, dress makers

Dolby Charles, Three Tuns

Downes Richard, beer retailer

Downs Charles, general grocer

Edwards David, saddler, &c.

Edwards John, butcher

Evans Thomas, machine maker

Farmer Thomas, farmer, Colebatch

Farmer William, farmer, Colebatch

Ferguson William, road surveyor

Freshney William, clog maker

Gough Benjamin, Boar’s Head

Gough Thomas, builder

Green John, farmer, Woodbatch

Greenhouse Howard, Harp Inn

Greenhouse Howard, jun., ironmonger

Griffin William, beer retailer

Griffithes Thomas Jones, land agent

Griffiths The Misses, ladies seminary

Griffiths Edward, nursery & seedsman, Colebatch

Griffiths Lewis, stationer & accountant

Griffiths Thomas, solicitor & town clerk

Griffiths William, shopkeeper

Hamar William, castrator

Hammonds Peter, nurseryman

Harris John, grocer & draper

Harris William, farmer, & wine & spirit merchant

Hemstock Henry, excise officer

Holl Emma, fancy repository

Holl George, brazier & tin plate worker

Home George, stone mason

Home John, carpenter

Home Hannah, shopkeeper

Home Herbert, Red Lion

Home Samuel, butcher

Home William, stone mason

Howard John, cattle dealer

Howard Richard, farmer, Colebatch

Howard Thomas, farmer, The Lea

Hughes Michael, general dealer

James Edward, farmer, The Field

James John, tailor

James Richard, Six Bells Inn

Jones John, carpenter

Jones Thomas, shopkeeper

Kibbert Richd. farmer, Up. Broughton

Lane John William, M.D. surgeon

Lavender William, supervisor of inland revenue

Leech John, carpenter, Colebatch

Legge Edward, draper

Lewis James, shopkeeper

Lewis Richard, blacksmith

Lewis Richard, saddler, &c.

Lloyd Edward, confectioner

Lloyd Thomas, boot & shoe maker

Lucas Wm. painter, plumber & glazier

McMinn David, tea dealer

McNiece John, watch maker

Maddox Isaac, farmer, Owlbury

Matthews Richard, watch maker

Minton Andrew, shoe maker

Minton John, shoe maker

Morris John, farmer, Woodbatch

Newbery James, Castle Hotel

Newill Elizabeth seed dealer

Newill Henry Starr, solicitor (Pardoe & Newill)

Nicholas John, painter & glazier

Norton John, butcher

Norton Mary, tanner

Norton Richard, farmer, Woodbatch

Norton Richard, wine & spirit merchant & ironmonger

Owen Elisha Edwin, draper, &c.

Palmer Francis, tailor

Pardoe & Newill, solicitors

Pardoe Frederick, solicitor

Phillips William, farmer, Lower Oakley farm

Playfair Margaret, shopkeeper

Pritchard James, carpenter

Probert Edward, grocer

Pugh Edward Nicholas, beer retailer

Pugh Maurice, plumber &c.

Pugh Richard, tailor

Pugh Thomas, King’s Head, & carpentr

Pugh William, tailor

Richards John, tailor

Richards Mary, straw bonnet maker

Richards Susan, baker

Richards Thomas, carpenter

Richards William, chair maker

Roberts John, farmer, Lower Broughton

Robinson William, Bull

Robinson William, shoe maker

Robinson William, jun., blacksmith

Sayce James, Cross Keys

Sayce John, shoe maker

Sayce Richard, stone mason

Sayce William, carpenter

Smith John, butcher

Speak Thomas, farmer, The Lea

Thomas Richard, tailor

Vickers John, cooper

Walker Thomas, shopkeeper

Williams Richard, hair dresser

Williams Thomas, baker

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871