Bicton Shropshire Family History Guide

Bicton is an ecclesiastical district, with Rosshall, Onslow, Calcott, Montford Bridge, Preston Montford and Udlington, formed in 1853 from the parishes of St. Alkmund and St. Chad, Shrewsbury, four miles from Shrewsbury.

Note: There is another place in Shropshire called Bicton situated in the parish of Clun.

Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin: 1853

  • Parish registers: 1853
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion

Parishes adjacent to Bicton

Historical Descriptions

Bicton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BICTON, a chapelry in St. Chad and St. Alkmond parishes, Salop; on the river Severn, and on Watlingstreet, near the Shrewsbury and Oswestry railway, 3 miles NW by W of Shrewsbury. It was constituted in 1853; and it has a post office, of the name of Bicton-Heath, under Shrewsbury. Rated property, £4,650. Pop., 569. Houses, 128. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £140. Patron, the Vicar of St. Chad. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bickton, a chapelry in the parish of St Chad, within the liberty of the borough of Shrewsbury, county of Salop; 3½ miles north-west by west of Shrewsbury, on the post-road to Oswestry, and intersected by the river Severn, which is here navigable. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Chester; valued at £20 4s., and rated in the parliamentary returns at £47 10s.; gross income £60; in the patronage of the vicar of St. Chad. Pop. returned with the parish.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Bicton The Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bickton; or Bicton. A township in the parish of St. Chad, and in the liberties of Shrewsbury, chapel to St. Chad, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 3 miles north-west of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Copthorn

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Copthorn. A township in the parish of Bickton, and in the liberties of Shrewsbury. 1½ mile west of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Montford Bridge

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Montford Bridge. The seat of Sir F. B. Hill.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Onslow

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Onslow. A township in the parish of St. Chad, and in the liberties of Shrewsbury. The seat of John Wingfield, Esq.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Preston Montford

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Preston Montford. A township in the parish of Montford, and in the liberties of Shrewsbury. The seat of Sir F. B. Hill. Preston Montford commands many beautiful and picturesque views of the neighbouring and distant country. 4 miles north-west of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Directories

Bicton Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Bicton is an ecclesiastical district, with Rosshall, Onslow, Calcott, Montford Bridge, Preston Montford and Udlington, formed in 1853 from the parishes of St. Alkmund and St. Chad, Shrewsbury, four miles from Shrewsbury, and 160 from London, in the Northern division of the county, Shrewsbury incorporation, and diocese of Lichfield.  Is situated on the river Severn.  The Church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient brick building, with small tower.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £140, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of St. Chad’s, Shrewsbury.  There is a mixed Parochial school.  Bicton was held from the Saxon era until the time of Henry the Eighth, by the church of St. Chad.  At the Isle there are the remains of an old castle and of a chapel, in existence before the Reformation.  The principal landowners are Charles G. Wingfield, Humphrey Sandford, Edward and Charles Morris, and John Harley, Esqrs.  The soil is strong loam; subsoil, gravel and clay.  The population in 1861 was 569.

Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m.

Breese Rev. John, B.A., Calcott house
Cotes The Misses, Bicton hall
Harding, John, esq.
Harley John, esq., Ross hall
Lloyd William B., esq., J.P., Preston, Montford hall
Morris Edward, esq., J.P., Udlington
Pritchard Mrs., Udlington villa
Roberts Rev. Charles Ingram, The Vicarage
Sandford Humphrey, esq., J.P., The Isle house
Wingfield Charles G., esq., D.L. Onslow
Bowen Evan, farmer, Bicton house
Bowen William, farmer, The Grove
Boore Charles, farmer, Corner farm
Buckley Richard, blacksmith
Cooke Thomas, farmer, Woodcott
Cook Thomas, farmer, Woodcott farm
Crane Joseph, farmer
Davies James, farmer, Isle park
Davies John, Four Crosses Inn
Davies Richard, farmer
Edwards Richard, farmer, Coppice farm
Edwards Robert, shoe maker, Montford bridge
Edwards William, farmer, Udlington
Evans John, bricklayer, Calcott
Evans Saml., shoemaker, Montford bridge
Evett George, farmer
Felton William, farm bailiff, Bicton villa
Griffiths John, farmer, Isle park
Harding John, farmer
Hilton Robert, farmer, Rossall
Jehu John, farmer, Rossall
Lewis Robert, tailor, Montford bridge
Parkes Mary, farmer, Lower Onslow
Poole John, farmer, The Grange, Montford hill
Pugh Andrew, carpenter, Montford bridge
Randles John, blacksmith, Montford bridge
Thomas, Edward, land steward, Onslow hall
Thomas Mary Ann, shopkeeper, Montford bridge
Twist John, farm bailiff to Mr. Crane, Calcott
Tomkiss William, farmer, The Isle
Whitehorn James, Nag’s Head, Montford bridge
Wilson John, nurseryman, Calcott
Wooding Edward, farmer, Lower Woodcott
Wright Joseph, farmer, Rossall green

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Shrewsbury
  • Poor Law Union: Shrewsbury Incorporation
  • Hundred: Ford
  • Province: Canterbury