Bettws y Crwyn

Bettws y Crwyn, Shropshire

Historical Descriptions

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bettus, a parish in the hund. of Clunn, county of Salop; 7 miles north-west of Knighton. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; valued at £20; gross income £57. Patron, in 1835, the Earl of Powis. Pop., in 1801, 308; in 1831, 389. Houses 59. Acres 8,500. A.P. £2,159. Poor rates, in 1837, £203.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bettus; or Bettws. A parish in the Mainstone division of the hundred of Clun, a curacy not in charge, chapel to Clun, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Clun, and archdeaconry of Salop. 56 houses, 341 inhabitants. 9 miles south-west of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.