Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871
Betton Strange, with Betton Alkmere, is an ecclesiastical district, formed in 1860 from the parish of St. Chad, Shrewsbury; 150 miles from London, and three from Shrewsbury, in the Northern division of the county, Shrewsbury incorporation, and diocese of Lichfield.
The church of St. Margaret is a stone building, in the Early English style. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £52, in the gift of George J. Scott, Esq. The principal landowners are Lord Berwick and G. J. Scott, Esq. The soil is sand, clay, and gravel; subsoil, strong clay. The population of the district in 1861 was 70.
Letters through Shrewsbury.
Scott George J., esq.
Cross John, farmer
Russell Henry, farmer, Betton Alkmere
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871