Benthall, Shropshire Family History Guide

Benthall is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1735 from a chapelry in Much Wenlock Ancient Parish.

Parish church: St. Bartholomew

Parish registers begin: 1640

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Benthall

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BENTHALL, a parish in Madeley district, Salop; near the river Severn, 2 miles NE of Much-Wenlock r. station. Post Town, Much-Wenlock, under Wellington. Acres, 824. Real property, £1,704. Pop., 499. Houses, 102. The property is all in one estate. Lime spars are found; and potteries are carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £93. Patron, the Vicar of Much-Wenlock. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Benthall, 2½ m. W. Broseley. P. 587
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Benthall. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock. A curacy not in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 119 houses, 554 inhabitants. 3 miles north-west of Wenlock.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Universal British Directory 1791

Benthall, the next adjoining parish west (to Madeley), had two large earthenware manufactories, one of which is carried on by Mr. John Bell, and the other by John Thursfield, a Quaker.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791

Hearth Tax

Benthall The Shropshire Hearth Tax Roll 1672

Format = Name; Fireharths; ll. (Pounds); s. (shillings)
Franchise of Wenlocke
Phillipp Benthall, Esq.; 18; 1; 16
Joseph Reynolds; 2; 0; 4
Morris Hartshorne; 2; 0; 4
John Cooper; 2; 0; 4
George Hartshorne; 2; 0; 4
Thomas Syner; 2; 0; 4
Robert Crunnadge; 2; 0; 4
Thomas Hartshorne, Senr.; 6; 0; 12
John Hartshorne; 3; 0; 6
William Rutter; 4; 0; 8
John Wonton; 1; 0; 2
Richard Smyth; 4; 0; 8
(M.11)
George Hartshorne; 3; 0; 6
John Cullas; 2; 0; 4
John Jones; 3; 0; 6
Thomas Marsh; 2; 0; 4
John Machyn; 2; 0; 4
Francis Armeshaw; 2; 0; 4
John Hagar; 2; 0; 4
William Hayne; 1; 0; 2
Thomas Hagar; 1; 0; 2
Oliver Easthope; 1; 0; 2
Thomas Easthope; 1; 0; 2
John Brooke; 2; 0; 4
Edward Dawley; 2; 0; 4
Ralph Bradley; 1; 0; 2
Widdowe Turner; 3; 0; 6
Naboth Dawley; 3; 0; 6
Widdowe Lloyd; 1; 0; 2
Total – Fireharths – 80; ll. (Pounds) – 8; s. (shillings) – 0

Directories

Benthall – Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871

Benthall is a parish, 1 mile west from Broseley, and 4 miles north-east from Much Wenlock; it is bounded by the river Severn on the north, and is in the Southern division of the county, Wenlock franchise, Madeley union, and diocese of Hereford.  The church of St. Bartholomew is an old stone building, it contains some monuments to the Browne and Benthall families.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £90, in the gift of the vicar of Wenlock.  The charities are £15 yearly.  Here are Benthall and Haybrook potteries, which are extensive; Rockingham and stone ware manufactories, conducted by the Benthall Pottery Company; also an encaustic tile manufactory, conducted by the Messrs. Maw.  Bordering on the River Severn Tyke’s Nest, the highest point of Wenlock Edge, terminates here; it is 417 feet above the surface of the river Severn.  Lord Forester is lord of the manor and sole landowner.  The charities are of the yearly value of £18.  The soil is a mixture of clay and gravel; the minerals are limestone, ironstone, and coal.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, and beans.  The population in 1861 was 499; the area is 1,196 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,953; rateable value, £1,824.

Letters received through Broseley.

Allen Mr. William
Maw George, esq., Benthall hall
Potts Edward Bagnell, esq., Benthall ho
Benthall Pottery Co., William Allen, manager
Burton John and Edward, firebrick makers, barge owners, and farmers
Cartwright Henry, Leopard
Duckett John, basket maker
Gother Geo., Britannia, cabinet maker, &c.
Instone John, blacksmith
Jones Warren Taylor, relieving officer
Maw and Co., mosaic and encaustic tile makers
Roberts Thomas, New Inn
Roden Edward, miller and farmer
Shaw Richard, coal miner and farmer
Watson Thomas, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Madeley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Wenlock
  • Poor Law Union: Madeley
  • Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough
  • Province: Canterbury