Beckbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish church: St. Milburgh
Parish registers begin: 1661
Parishes adjacent to Beckbury
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BECKBURY, a parish in Shiffnal district, Salop; on a tributary of the Severn, 4¼. miles SW of Albrighton r. station, and 5¼ S by E of Shiffnal. It has a post office under Shiffnal. Acres, 1,343. Real property, £2,140. Pop., 297. Houses, 66. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese. of Hereford. Value, £350. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Beckbury, a parish in the liberties of Wenlock, union of Shiffnal, county of Salop; 6½ miles north-east of Bridgenorth. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford, valued at £5 3s. 4d.; gross income £350. Patron, the Crown. There are two daily schools in this parish. Pop., in 1801, 231 , in 1837, 307. Houses 60. Acres 1,640. A.P. £2,340. Poor rates, in 1837, £154
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Beckbury, 6 m. E. Broseley. P. 312
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BECKBURY (St. Milburgh), a parish, in the union of Shiffnall, liberties of the borough of Wenlock, S. division of Salop, 4 miles (S.) from Shiffnall; containing 312 inhabitants. It is situated about two miles south of the great Holyhead road, and comprises by measurement 1321 acres: red rockstone is found, suitable for building. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £5. 3. 4., and in the gift of the Lord Chancellor: the tithes have been commuted for £333, and there are 31 acres of glebe, with a house. In the church is a table-monument of alabaster to the memory of Richard Houghton and his lady. In the Windmill field is a tumulus, which was opened in 1840, and which, about four feet beneath the surface, contained human bones.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Beckbury. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 54 houses, 285 inhabitants. 4 miles south-east by south of Shiffnal.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Beckbury Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871
Beckbury is a parish and village, 4 miles south from Shifnal, 4 south-east from Albrighton railway stations, and 22 from Shrewsbury, in the Southern division of the county, Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union and division, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Milburgh is a stone building, erected in the reign of William and Mary. The living is a rectory, yearly value £350, with residence and 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. There is a National school for boys and girls, with a house attached for the master and mistress. Caynton House, the seat of Major-Gen. the Hon. Arthur Charles Legge, R.A., J.P., is a modern building, in the Italian style, with ornamental grounds. Beckbury Hall, the property of William Stubbs, Esq., J.P., is a brick mansion. Edward Cheney, Esq., who is lord of the manor, Major-Gen. the Hon. Arthur Charles Legge, J.P., Dr. Fowler, William Stubbs, Esq., and W. O. Foster, Esq., are the chief landowners. In 1255, Philip de Beckbury was lord of the vill, holding it of the prior at a rent of 25s. Exactly the same amount was receivable by the prior, in the shape of chief rent, from Beckbury, upwards of 260 years afterwards.
At the forest assizes of March, 1209, the following charge was brought against the lord of this manor: – “Richard de Prestewode, going through his bailiwick of Morfe, followed two men until he came up with them, viz., Hugh de Bectebury and Thomas, his brother. They had with them three grey hounds, out of leash, and five hares; but when Richard had arrested Hugh, Thomas drew his sword and released him. Both then took to flight; and Richard raising the hue and cry, pursued till night took the fugitives from his sight.” A very heavy fine, doubtless, was proffered for this flagrant violation of the forest laws by the lord of Beckbury, “that he and Thomas, his brother, might be quit as to this; that they had taken hares in the king’s forest.” The soil is sandy and loamy; the subsoil is red sandstone. The population in 1861 was 297; the area is 1,340a 0r. 12p.; gross estimated rental, £2,737; rateable value, £2,447
Letters arrive from Shifnal at 8-30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.
Carrier to Wolverhampton. – Thomas Smith, every Wednesday
Harvey Francis, esq.
Legge Major-Gen. Hon. Arthur Charles, R.A. J.P. Caynton house
Lloyd Llewellin, esq. The Hall
Stubbs Rev. Edward Wm. M.A. [curate]
Stubbs William, esq. Lower hall
Adams Richard, shoe maker
Broughall George, farmer
Corfield Benjamin, farmer
Davies William, farmer
Dyke William, builder
Edgerly John, butcher
Hampton William, blacksmith
Harrison Sarah, dress maker
Hiddins Martha, shopkeeper
Page John, Seven Stars Inn
Phillips Jesse, grocer
Plumper James, bricklayer
Reynolds Peter, farmer
Shenton Benjamin, farmer
Smith Charles, painter, plumber, & house decorator
Smith Eleanor, grocer
Spencer Thomas, blacksmith
Williams Richard, shopkeeper
Worrall Richard, farmer, Snowdon
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Shifnal
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Wenlock
- Poor Law Union: Shifnal
- Hundred: Brimstree
- Province: Canterbury