Bayston Hill – Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871

Bayston Hill is an ecclesiastical parish, with Lythwood Hall and part of Pulley, formed in 1844 from the parish of St. Julian, Shrewsbury, and Condover; it is 150 miles from London and 2 ½ from Shrewsbury, in the Southern division of the county, Atcham union and Shrewsbury incorporation, and diocese of Lichfield.  Christ Church is a stone building in the Early English style.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £140, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of St. Julian’s, Shrewsbury.  There are mixed school, endowed by the late Mrs. Flavel.  The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.  William Henry Hornby and Charles Kinnersley, Esq., are the principal landowners.  The area is 540 acres, and the population in 1861 was 605.
Letters arrive through Shrewsbury at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 8-30 p.m.

Holder Thomas, esq. Bayston grove
Hornby Rev. Robert, The Vicarage
Price Mr. John, Oak villa
Scott William, esq. Lythwood hall
Davies John, Compasses inn
Edwards William, grocer and provision merchant
Fox William, farmer and stone quarry owner, Sharpstones
Groves Mary, farmer
Griffiths Samuel, parish clerk
Griffiths Thomas, butcher
Holbrook William, shopkeeper
Howells John, post office
Jones Edward, shopkeeper
Jones Edward, farmer, Bomere
Jones Charles, Fox inn
Mansell Job, beer retailer
Meddins Edward, farmer, Lythwood hall farm
Norris Mary, farmer, Pulley
Price George, well sinker
Webb George, shopkeeper
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871